The Nissan Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I 'm going to change the manual transmission lubricant on my car but should I go with: Redline MT-90 or Redline MTL? I drive the 3.5 SE, and how much do I need? Thank you for your help.

·
I Am My Altima's Bitch
3,035 Posts
I believe a few weeks ago there was a post regarding a TSB from nissan stating NOT to use synthetic fluid in the tranny. Search.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The diff is the weight. The MTL is thinner and the MT-90 is thicker. If you live south the MT 90 should be used. If you are North of the Mason Dixon line MTL is ok or MT 90 would still work.

Make sure you have enough miles on your tranny before you use to let the parts "break in". Not sure if adding synth from day one would hurt, just being cautious. My Maxima took just under 5 quarts. Basically you just dump the old fluid and put drain plug back in and open fill hole and pour fluid in until its starts to overflow,then you're good. You really can't overfill it.

·
Registered
432 Posts
greer said:
I 'm going to change the manual transmission lubricant on my car but should I go with: Redline MT-90 or Redline MTL? I drive the 3.5 SE, and how much do I need? Thank you for your help.
Your safest bet is to call Redline Oil at (707)745-6100 . Ask for Dave-if I remember correctly-their technical advisor and pose this question to him. http://www.redlineoil.com/contact.htm
Good luck, H.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Now I never installed the fluid on an Altima only a MAxima. But the Maxima had a fill bolt that was shaped like the female part of a 1/2" socket. Make sense. So if you have a 1/2" socket, the part from the ratchet that plugs into the socket would plud into the fill bolt on the tranny. The drain bolt should be down below possibly on the drivers side..

Also, I see you are in LA. I'd go with MT90.;) MTL works great if you live in the Tundra like I do. Todays' high is 8. Redline will make the shifter buttery smooth. :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just did this today on my 2002 2.5s. The drain and fill plugs are 10mm allen wrench size - so I bought a 10mm allen wrench socket and it worked great. I was able to get a little over 3qts of MT90 into the transmission before it started to overflow, so then I replaced the plug.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Nissan calls for a GL4 spec oil, both MTL and Mt90 meet that requirement. The mt90 is the proper weight once the transmission is at operating temperature. I think nissan wants you to use 80w90, but don't quote me on that. Also normal 75w90 syn gear oil is GL5 spec and should not be used, as is 80W90 petroleum based oil.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Redline MTL 90, or BG Syncrho Shift II will work wonders on that transmission. If any of you complained about knotchy shifting before add a few QT's of that to your tranny and be surprised.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Btw, the reason Nissan wants to you to use heavier weights like that is because of the protection it provides especially when the tranny is cold, but this can cause bulky shifts. Using a light transmission fluid will result in a much smoother feel from the transmission, but it doesn't always provide enough protection.

BG Synchro Shift and Redline MTL 90 both use larger chain molecules and friction modifiers than typical gear oils. It will work wonders.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Tell me more about the Bg product is it a true PAO synthetic, or just Iso hydromerized petroleum oil, Like Castrol Syntec and many others.
jotlum said:
Btw, the reason Nissan wants to you to use heavier weights like that is because of the protection it provides especially when the tranny is cold, but this can cause bulky shifts. Using a light transmission fluid will result in a much smoother feel from the transmission, but it doesn't always provide enough protection.

BG Synchro Shift and Redline MTL 90 both use larger chain molecules and friction modifiers than typical gear oils. It will work wonders.

·
Registered
88 Posts
That's a damn good question. To be honest, I can't answer that question off the top of my head. There was a great spec sheet on it a couple years ago. I'll see if I can't retreive that and post the link.

Going strickly by memory, and don't quote me, but I'm 90% sure it's full synethic.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts