The Nissan Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to say the car does shifts alot smoother now with the synthetic tranny fluid.

The clutch seems hella weird. It grabs really high. It is alot smoother then before taking off the line.

The brakes on this car SUCK fat ass (atleast on mine they do) or maybe its cause I've been driving my moms 1998 lexas ES300 and let me tell you the brakes the ride the sound in that car is 20 times that of the altima. But it don't handle worth a shit and has no power compared to the alty.

·
Parts & Service Manager
1,812 Posts
New note from one of nissans head engineers states, do not us synthetic oil in nissan manual transmissions. This was stated in Nissans new insync mag we get from nissan to dealers. The article was about synthetics in nissans. He stated that the syncros can get messed up because the lubrication is too slippery. He said eventually the gears will be harder to get into. The companys may state that they are safe. But i think that nissan is right about the trans. All the synthetic is good for in the trans is a higher temp threshold. Just some friendly advice. Don't get me wrong, I don't use anything but Mobil 1 in my engine, which, the article say is ok.--of course.

·
Registered
205 Posts
rlsr20de said:
New note from one of nissans head engineers states, do not us synthetic oil in nissan manual transmissions. This was stated in Nissans new insync mag we get from nissan to dealers. The article was about synthetics in nissans. He stated that the syncros can get messed up because the lubrication is too slippery. He said eventually the gears will be harder to get into. The companys may state that they are safe. But i think that nissan is right about the trans. All the synthetic is good for in the trans is a higher temp threshold. Just some friendly advice. Don't get me wrong, I don't use anything but Mobil 1 in my engine, which, the article say is ok.--of course.
Any chance you could send me a copy of that article. I'd like to read it.

I've personally used synthetic gear oil in three seperate Nissan's without any issues.

Synthetics also flow better in the cold and have a higher film strength than conventional oil, they're advantage is not just high temp oxidation resistance. When I'm on the track for a half hour at a time and WOT, I like to know my gears are running as cool as they can be without any metal to metal contact.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Don't beleive a mechanical engineer when you need a tribologist!
They are making a general statement because most GL5 gear
oils are too slippery ( its caused by the additives they add not the synthetic oil as much) GL4 spec oils have less friction modifiers and should be no problem in my opinion. Synthetic GL5 oils may make syncro engagement harder. The MT90 has a higher coefficient of friction than a GL5 gear oil so will allow syncros
to mesh easily.Its speced as a GL4

As long as its not hard going into gear when quick shifting I would stick with it! The GL 4 oil will also not be corrosive to brass syncro rings at higher temperatures, the Extreme pressure addives in GL5 gear oils can cause syncro wear at elevated temperatures!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Dallas is 100% correct !!!!!

Redline MT-90 gear oil is a GL-4 oil, which is what is recommended for the Altima manual tranny.
One should NOT use Mobil 1 Synthetic gear oil (i.e. 75w90) since it is a GL-5 oil and it will create a mess with the synchros in the Alty.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts