The Nissan Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone using regular gas in an Alty 3.5? I know that Nissan recommends premium but I have been wondering whether 89 octane regular will suffice with little or no performance degradation.

My Honda Accord 3 liter is perfectly satisfied with 89 octane regular and testing has shown that the engine produces no more power with premium fuel than with regular.

Has anyone done any testing using a G-Test meter with regular and premium fuel to find out whether there is a measurable performance loss using regular in the 3.5 engine?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
11,480 Posts
To be safe, use what's recommended for your engine. I don't think the Accord requires premium fuel so it would be a waste to put that in it. I think the Altima 3.5SE (all VQ engines?) does require it. I don't have one so I can't be sure. Play it safe...

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,759 Posts
Gas

you know what? i am the cheapest mfr in the land. I do no know i f it needs it or not, but it gets it. That much bhp, there has to be a reason. .................Just my intoxicated perception.

·
Former Honda owner
71 Posts
i have read several conflicting reports on this issue over the last few years. cars have been tested on all grades of fuel and some have no change in performance or mileage. gas is so cheap now i am personally using 91 (good ol' california)

·
Registered
30 Posts
i think it was car n driver that did it, but one magazine did a test, and the V6 accord actually LOST hp with premium!!!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
It's safe to run 87 in the 3.5SE (says so in the manual), but the computer will dial back the timing to keep the engine from pinging/knocking. Nissan usually maps its ignition on cars with knock sensors for about 93-94 octane, and retards the timing according to fuel used and load.

My mother had an '89 Maxima GXE. It required 87 octane, but had more torque on 92 (would pull hills in overdrive that it couldn't do with 87), and also got slightly better gas mileage. Not enough to justify the extra $0.20+/gal that premium costs, but if I were going to race it I would have run 92.

·
Registered
79 Posts
in the late '80's I had a Hyundai Excel GLS (Gutless Little S***) and a 70 Mile round trip daily commute to work. The Hyundai actually got significantly better mileage on premium, such that I saved about 8 cents per 100 miles, or about 32 cents a week (working 6 days a week).

back then I NEEDED to save wherever I could.

Now, I buy Premium because I can ... LOL:D

·
Always something better
1,037 Posts
Why buy the 3.5 if you don't want to put in the 93, should have bought a 4 banger:angry2:

·
Registered
11,480 Posts
Davard said:
It's safe to run 87 in the 3.5SE (says so in the manual), but the computer will dial back the timing to keep the engine from pinging/knocking. Nissan usually maps its ignition on cars with knock sensors for about 93-94 octane, and retards the timing according to fuel used and load.

My mother had an '89 Maxima GXE. It required 87 octane, but had more torque on 92 (would pull hills in overdrive that it couldn't do with 87), and also got slightly better gas mileage. Not enough to justify the extra $0.20+/gal that premium costs, but if I were going to race it I would have run 92.

kvou812 in this [url="http://www.altimas.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17106 said:
thread[/url]."]

OK, I'm gonna post this one time for those who have trouble following instructions. This is what the manual says regarding fuel recommendation for the 02 Alty.....

For 2.5L engine

Your vehicle is designed to operate on unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of at least 87 AKI (Anti-Knock Index) (Research octane number 91)

For 3.5L engine

Your vehicle is designed to operate on UNLEADED PREMIUM GASOLINE with an octane rating of at LEAST 91 AKI (anti-knock Index) number (Research octane number 96).

If UNLEADED PREMIUM GASOLINE is not available, unleaded regular gasoline with an octane rating of at least 87 AKI (Research octane number 91) can be used, but ONLY UNDER THE FOLLOWING PRECAUTIONS:

* Have the fuel tank filled only PARTIALLY with unleaded regular gasoline, and fill up with UNLEADED PREMIUM GASOLINE as SOON AS POSSIBLE

* AVOID full throttle driving and abrupt acceleration.

HOWEVER, FOR MAXIMUM VECHICLE PERFORMANCE, THE USE OF UNLEADED PREMIUM GASOLINE IS RECOMMENDED..

This was copied word for word from the owner's manual....any more questions about recommended fuel??? :rolleyes:

Kevin

·
Registered
30 Posts
supposedly advancing the timing on the crank position sensor about 4-5 degrees is good for a few HP but then you HAVE to run premium. i have it done on my VE (similiar motor) and i noticed a difference. . . gotta be careful though. advance it too much and even with the commputer compensating you can burn a valve. . .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts