The Nissan Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently had a Audiovox Pursuit Remote Starter installed in my 03 SE by the dealer. I paid $350 for it and I know I got rooked but I figured if it caused problems than the dealership couldn't blame anyone else.

Here's the problem - I have two remotes and only want one. The new remote I got has 4 channels - unlock, lock, remote starter, and an option button. The only function that will work on the new remote is the remote starter button, when I try to use the lock and unlock it simply flashes the running lights. I called the dealer and they told me it's another $50 to add the lock/unlock function to my new remote. Is this just a way for the dealer to make some more money off me or is this something I can program myself? Sorry for the novel.

·
Registered
442 Posts
problem...

if it is the new remote that came with the alarm and does not unlock/lock the doors... seems to me that installation went wrong with the wiring... he wired the lights to the relay but forgot the unlock/lock button switch to the alarm...

·
shift_2 the altimit1
1,217 Posts
Re: problem...

akaotikpnoy said:
if it is the new remote that came with the alarm and does not unlock/lock the doors... seems to me that installation went wrong with the wiring... he wired the lights to the relay but forgot the unlock/lock button switch to the alarm...
I'm thinking the same thing, bad install!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
There are suppose to be relays installer must connect to control door locks, windows and trunk.

Are those relay already install in the unit? If it is, you just have to know where to wire. But it's probably better to let the dealer do it.

But at $350, it's quite steep for just a remote starter.

Most aftermarket outfit here will do it for $200cdn/$120US. And it's a good starter with decent range.

·
Registered
77 Posts
MassAlti,

I installed my own remotestarter/alarm... the deal is if you ask to get a starter installed, that is all they will hookup getting the doors to unlock/lock is an extra which unfortunately costs you because it takes extra time to install. I found the door lock/unlock a bit tricky to do considering the wires you need to run to are in the drivers door. Anyhow the option buttion can be used for your Trunk, just a thought. Unfortunately you will have to go back to them and get them to wire the door lock/unlock for you OR attempt to do it yourself, if you are brave enough to rip your car apart.

Best of luck!

- Nic

·
Registered
442 Posts
i would raise hell and go back to the installer and bring the alarm system information showing that the alarm comes with lock/unlock features which do not work... that same thing happened with my gurl's civic and they said her car didn't come with power doors and i said fawk that and flipped the table on them with thier products...

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
NVS aLtiMa said:
Can a remote starter be installed on a 5sp ? Does anyone know ? Thanks
Technically, it's possible but consider:

#1 Check your local law. If it say no. No.

#2 Check your insurance, it may give them something to cheat your out of coverage

#3 Check yourself. If your driving habit usually leave car in gear before you get out, don't get one until you can correct it. There're many times here people with remote starter and manual start their car and crash into malls. Insurance doesn't cover that and he end up paying for all damages.

·
Life, Liberty, Pursuit of
1,320 Posts
the door wires are not that hard to get to

the wires have to go to thru the grommet in the door, so if you are ever planning on upgrading the factory speaker wires, you should do it then

my 0.02

the doors are IMO easy to get into as long as you take your time, there have been at least a couple discussions on this including a writeup I believe.

let me know if you are going to tackle this yourself, I will send you a copy of the wiring diagram for the door locks

·
Sarcastic Member
3,548 Posts
Xtrema said:
Technically, it's possible but consider:

#1 Check your local law. If it say no. No.

#2 Check your insurance, it may give them something to cheat your out of coverage

#3 Check yourself. If your driving habit usually leave car in gear before you get out, don't get one until you can correct it. There're many times here people with remote starter and manual start their car and crash into malls. Insurance doesn't cover that and he end up paying for all damages.
Hmm, I think I'll just go outside and do the starting myself in that case. Too much trouble, plus I have the habit of leaving the car in gear instead of using the parking brake. The only time I EVER use the parking brake is when i'm sitting still inside of the car with it on. Force of habit I guess . . . .:rolleyes:

·
I Am My Altima's Bitch
3,035 Posts
NVS aLtiMa said:
Hmm, I think I'll just go outside and do the starting myself in that case. Too much trouble, plus I have the habit of leaving the car in gear instead of using the parking brake. The only time I EVER use the parking brake is when i'm sitting still inside of the car with it on. Force of habit I guess . . . .:rolleyes:
Hey now, lets not be hasty... A remote starter for manuals is a very safe thing as long as it is installed right. Most manual remote starters have a built in feature which requires that you put the car in "pitstop mode" when you park it, get out and close the doors before shutting the car off with the remote. The system monitors the doors to see if anyone opens one, and if they do, the car cant be started. You see, if you left the car running when you got out, that obviously meant it was in neutral and stopped. If noone opened a door, that means it still is, hence NO problems.

However, on the 2002-3 Altima 5 speed, it gets even better. The transmission has a switch in it that grounds when the transmission is in neutral (PNP switch). This switch by itself does nothing related to starting, however, if you consider that the clutch interlock is also a grounding switch, you can easily jump the clutch wire and the PNP switch wire making the car only start if a)the clutch is engaged, or b)the tranny is in neutral! Normally you need to use a relay to bypass the clutch switch for a manual remote car starter, but if you dont and you jump the wires (connect pin 43 on the engine control module with pin 46 on the intelligent power distribution module), the car wont start with the remote starter unless it is in neutral.

VUALA!!! Figure out how to drive that through a wall.

P.S. If that seemed a little complicated, its really not!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts