The Nissan Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am about to remove an old(6 years) tint job on my altima. I read a post about hurting the heat strips on the rear window. Is there anything i need to do special for the other windows (like steaming them, as one guy suggested be done on the rear)?

·
Formerly LordofSearchMod
18,041 Posts
easiest to do is doing the sides like the read...

however, the sides you can scrape off since there isn't any lines to worry about. just spray some ammonia and get it really wet... then with a utility knife just peel up a corner. From removing stickers, wallpaper, etc, its best to form a sharp angle when you are peeling.

what I mean is don't pull the fil straight up (away from the window) at a 90 degree angle. peel it back over the area you have left, like if you are folding a piece of paper. This is a much better way to peel stuff and it should come off easy. If any part gets stuck, respray and with the knife, unstick it...

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Not a 90degree angle? No wonder I had some film left on some parts and not others.
I started by using a razor to lift a corner up. Then sprayed windex on the area where I was peeling and peeled real slow. Oh yeah, have the car in the sun when you do this. And it smells crazy bad so have the doors open.
For the side windows, I used 409 to get the rest of the glue off. And the back, I used Windex. Spray and let it sit for a min, then try to wipe/rub off w/a kitchen towel or something.
I've heard #0000 Steel Wool will work w/o peeling the defroster, but I got it done pretty well w/just windex and towels.
Jay

·
Banned
1 Posts
I am telling you guys, the best thing to do is just use a spray bottle of water and dishwashing detergent. Works like a charm

·
Formerly LordofSearchMod
18,041 Posts
anything actually so that it stays wet. That's what you want... but anything that dissolves adhesive.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Go out and get some of that scrubbing bubbles bathroom cleaner and something called a Dobie. It is a sponge with mesh around it. It works perfect without hurting your defroster lines. You can use these on your back window to get the glue off once the tint is removed.:D

·
Traded in Alti!!!
406 Posts
water and peel, thats all it took me on my mustang

·
Formerly LordofSearchMod
18,041 Posts
belz7189 said:
something called a Dobie. It is a sponge with mesh around it. It works perfect without hurting your defroster lines. You can use these on your back window to get the glue off once the tint is removed.:D
also known as a bug sponge... useful for removing love bugs and crap off your bumper when you wash the car.. you can get it at any parts store..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts