The Nissan Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a thread about replacing the motor on my '93 GLE and asked you all how to keep it from stalling at idle and how to get better gas milage. I got a bunch of ideas of what to look for. I said that I would post the diagnoses when I found it...

The gas milage improve when I fixed a cracked line coming off of the charcole canister going to the intake plenum.

As for the stalling, I really didn't do much. I flushed the motor to change it to synthetic oil, played with the TPS, and re-timed it. The timeing was at 22 deg. BTC which Hayen's says is acceptable, I changed it to 18 deg. BTC and now it idles fine... but, now it shifts really hard at half throttle. Do any of you think that is just due to the advancement in timeing? I want it to idle but I don't want to be replacing the transmission either.:confused:

Thanks for you ideas!

·
Cube Farmer
2,202 Posts
How does the trans fluid look? If its low/old (im guessing you repaced it) that can effect the shift. Either that, im not sure if the nissan has a trans fluid filter (my one other car that was an auto did, but it was a chevy) if it's dirty/clogged the fluid doesnt get there quick enough on 1/2 throttle and it effects the shift.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I didn't change the fluid when I swaped the motor but I added over half of the capacity back in when I was finshed to get the level right. I'm going to change the fluid and the filter (it does have one), I just haven't had a chance yet... i.e. I just bought an 87 RX-7 to turn into a rally car. So that's it, just change the fluid and the filter and I should be cool. Great! :D

·
I'm Sig-cop man! Meow.
1,314 Posts
sdesine said:
Thanks, I didn't change the fluid when I swaped the motor but I added over half of the capacity back in when I was finshed to get the level right. I'm going to change the fluid and the filter (it does have one), I just haven't had a chance yet... i.e. I just bought an 87 RX-7 to turn into a rally car. So that's it, just change the fluid and the filter and I should be cool. Great! :D
Don't change the filter. The standard proceedure is to have it drained, flushed, and filled.

For the most part, the filter can only be changed by the dealer because of some "creative design" that has one of the filter bolts going through... I think it was the valve body... and messes everything up if you remove it.

The Chilton's manual talks about it, and if you go to any auto parts place and find the filter kit for the Alty and open it up, there will be a warning about this as well.

·
Cube Farmer
2,202 Posts
Damn, that sounds like a lot of work for a filter...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
~Artlover~ said:

Don't change the filter. The standard proceedure is to have it drained, flushed, and filled.
Thanks, I will just try and change the fluid and see what Haynes says too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts