The Nissan Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I replaced the spark plugs on the 2.5 today. They were extremely easy to access, and the job took less than 30 minutes start to finish, including checking plug gaps and inspecting old plugs. There is zero reason to pay the dealer hundreds of $$$ for this service -- it cost me a $12 9/16" deep spark plug socket and $38 for the plugs. The OEM plugs are Denso 3439 (FXE20HR11) per the service manual. Check to make sure they haven't changed for your model year.

Steps:

1. Remove engine cover -- remove 3 hex head screws, pull to remove from retainer.

2. Remove 10 mm screws to remove ignition coils, unplug the coils, and remove them from the spark plug wells.

3. Use a 9/16" spark plug socket to remove each of the 4 plugs.

4. Insert new plugs -- screw them in with the socket extension by hand before snugging them down with the handle to make sure you don't cross-thread. Don't over tighten!

5. Reattach coils and engine cover, and count the money you just saved by DIY.

If you have compressed air, blow out the area to make sure you don't get debris in the spark plug wells.

BTW -- car has 95k miles. It's not due for another 10k miles, but I had time and we put 50k/year on the car these days -- better early than late.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
You have any photos, just google it says spark plug needs to change every 100k?
No, I didn't take photos -- it's a very simple job with nothing unusual involved. If you don't know what an ignition coil looks like, this isn't the job for you.

Your owner's manual calls for plug changes every 105k. I suspect it would've been 100k, but 105k fits evenly with the oil change intervals. I did it 10k miles early because we put lots of miles on the car and I had the time to get it done.

·
2013 Altima 3.5 SV no nav
811 Posts
Hi everyone,

I replaced the spark plugs on the 2.5 today. They were extremely easy to access, and the job took less than 30 minutes start to finish, including checking plug gaps and inspecting old plugs. There is zero reason to pay the dealer hundreds of $$$ for this service -- it cost me a $12 9/16" deep spark plug socket and $38 for the plugs. The OEM plugs are Denso 3439 (FXE20HR11) per the service manual. Check to make sure they haven't changed for your model year.

Steps:

1. Remove engine cover -- remove 3 hex head screws, pull to remove from retainer.

2. Remove 10 mm screws to remove ignition coils, unplug the coils, and remove them from the spark plug wells.

3. Use a 9/16" spark plug socket to remove each of the 4 plugs.

4. Insert new plugs -- screw them in with the socket extension by hand before snugging them down with the handle to make sure you don't cross-thread. Don't over tighten!

5. Reattach engine cover, and count the money you just saved by DIY.

If you have compressed air, blow out the area to make sure you don't get debris in the spark plug wells.

BTW -- car has 95k miles. It's not due for another 10k miles, but I had time and we put 50k/year on the car these days -- better early than late.
Did you set the gap before installing them ?

·
Registered
243 Posts
No, I didn't take photos -- it's a very simple job with nothing unusual involved. If you don't know what an ignition coil looks like, this isn't the job for you.

Your owner's manual calls for plug changes every 105k. I suspect it would've been 100k, but 105k fits evenly with the oil change intervals. I did it 10k miles early because we put lots of miles on the car and I had the time to get it done.
Did u use a torque wrench when u put the spark plug back in? I don't want to over torque or under torque... just want that perfect twerk.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did u use a torque wrench when u put the spark plug back in? I don't want to over torque or under torque... just want that perfect twerk.
No, but feel free to do so if that works for you. I hand tightened using the socket and extension, then attached the ratchet handle and turned it a bit until I felt the washer compress -- maybe 1/8 - 1/4 turn.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts