The Nissan Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over this past winter, I cut into a snow bank while backing out of my driveway, and put a pretty hefty crack and dent into my front bumper cover on the passenger side underneath the turn signal. I ordered a painted front bumper cover off eBay, which has been delivered, and I plan on making the swap when I have some time on vacation at the end of the month.

Does anybody know of any guides or videos on doing this, or have any tips? I have some limited experience doing this kind of work, I replaced the front bumper and fenders on a '95 Toyota Celica over a decade ago, but nothing since then. I've looked through the service manual, and saw the diagrams there, but am trying to prepare as best as I can.

As well, are there any clips or screws I should buy ahead of time to use as replacements for the old ones when I take it off?

Looking for any help anyone can provide. Thanks :)

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
It's easy to do and I assume very similar to the 4th Gen, for which you need to do the following:

Remove
- pop clips along the top of the grille under the hood
- pop clips under the bumper skin attaching it to the rad sub-frame and the engine splash shield
- 3 screws at each under each side immediately in front of the wheels
- 1 screw tucked behind the fender liner of each wheel, accessed from below, located where the plastic bumper skin meets the metal fender
- disconnect the fog light wiring if so equipped (you may need to remove the engine splash shield to get your hand in far enough to do this)

Pop the bumper skin loose at each wheel well by pushing the bumper skin toward the wheel well while pulling the edge of the skin away from the body.

Once both sides have unsnapped from the metal fender, grab the bumper skin by the vent by the license plate bracket and the top of the grill and wiggle the skin+grille loose from body.

Replacement is reverse of above.

Since you too enjoy salt and slush in the winters...the fatter pop clips used along the base of the bumper can be quite stiff to open as they are full of dirt/salt work them carefully as they are $3-4 EACH at the dealer...the smaller ones are much cheaper. Regardless, you can put the whole thing back together with only a few functioning clips...but you'll want them all replaced ASAP and certainly before you bump into anything else!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Over this past winter, I cut into a snow bank while backing out of my driveway, and put a pretty hefty crack and dent into my front bumper cover on the passenger side underneath the turn signal. I ordered a painted front bumper cover off eBay, which has been delivered, and I plan on making the swap when I have some time on vacation at the end of the month.

Does anybody know of any guides or videos on doing this, or have any tips? I have some limited experience doing this kind of work, I replaced the front bumper and fenders on a '95 Toyota Celica over a decade ago, but nothing since then. I've looked through the service manual, and saw the diagrams there, but am trying to prepare as best as I can.

As well, are there any clips or screws I should buy ahead of time to use as replacements for the old ones when I take it off?

Looking for any help anyone can provide. Thanks :)
There are some tricky locking pieces at the headlights. Yes there is a video. I just did this several times a few months back because my ebay paint to match didn't fit right and the color was way off. So I had to put it back together the next day and paid the deductible and had it done right. FYI I have a grille if anybody is looking to buy one. You have a bolt or two behind the splash gaurd, do not remove the tires, just turn the front of the tire in toward the engine and bend back the cover, then cut the wheel back and do the other side; there's plenty of room.

I skipped the video to the explaination of the headlight clip. You take the bold out of it and then the clip rolls toward the engine. It's like a rainbow shape that keeps the headlight and grille backing in alignment.
https://youtu.be/cLUdPVMm1b8?t=1m33s

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks both for that info.

jeffh, I had seen that video, and that (along with a large amount of positive feedback), is what made me pull the trigger on one of the eBay 'painted to match' specials. Hopefully I make out better than you did. The paint job on the one I received seems fine, but it's hard to tell if the color matches exactly since it's in my basement currently.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts