The Nissan Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Breu Meister
6,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to know if anyone has an instructions or knows how to replace a valve gasket cover. I found some oil on one of my spark plugs when I replaced them. wasn't that much oil but enough to make me angry. does this in anyway cause my car to lose hp and performance? any help here would be appreciated

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
i need to do mine also. someone told me to get some gew sealant from autozone and thats all you need. Im not sure if you have to torque the bolts back on.

·
TB-3
1,496 Posts
Remove the nuts around around the cover's perimeter, then pry off the sealing washers on each stud. Be careful when you remove the nuts, some of them might be stuck b/c of massive oil deposits on your valvecover and you will end up breaking them.
If the cover is stuck to the cylinder head, LIGHTLY bump the end with a wood block and a hammer to jar it loose. If that doesn't work, try to slip a flexible putty knife between the cylinder head and cover to break the seal. Caution don't pry at the valve cover or housing-to-cylinder head joint or damage to the sealing surfaces may occur leading to future oil leaks.

Remove the gasket from the valve cover.

Clean the mating surface of the engine block from previous sealnats and other deposits. At first use a gasket scraper and then acetone (nail polish stuff will do). If there is residue or oil on the mating surface, oil leaks may develop. Apply RTV sealant to the half-circle areas at the front and rear of the cam shafts.
http://www.orbit3d.com/view.phtml?id=3147

Install the valve cover with a new gasket. Tighten the nuts with a torque wrench (torque specifications shoould be listed in your manual) staring with the center fastners and working out towars the end. Be very careful and slow when you tighen the bolts, they are easily breakable!

Now install the spark wires clips, spark plugs and PCV hoses. Actually, do the PCV hoses first b/c they are the hardest. Make sure to put the spark plug wires in the correct order.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
i stripped on of the bolts because my torque wrench wasnt working. i had to buy a smaller nut and force tighten it on.

lesson: use good tools

·
clean freak
3,377 Posts
Do not use a silicone sealant!

The only place that you need sealant is around the half moon parts of the gasket. Do not use this anywhere else, especially on the inside spark plug hole gasket. The silicone sealant will actually eat at the rubber gasket causing it to fail very quickly.

·
Breu Meister
6,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is it ok to use engine cleaner on any of the spots on the engine where there has been oil that has been leaked onto the surface and burnt on. not on the actual inside of the engine, im talking about the outside of it.

·
The Dude
8,837 Posts
sorry, had to bust your balls a little. and yes you can use degreaser on your engine. just make sure not to get your distributer or air filter wet

1 - 9 of 9 Posts