The Nissan Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I had high idle that indicated a bad throttle body/position sensor. After investigation notice previous damage to throttle body pcm housing where the plastic connection is located. As well as the plastic harness that plugs in to the throttle body. I manage to replace both throttle body and harness with a new pigtail from nissan but throttle body from o'Reilly. An replaced oil cap with one from o'Reilly as well but as I go to program with 2sec on then 10sec off 2sec on then 10sec off wait additional 10 sec then turn key on for 10sec then off. Turn the key on for 3 sec then press gas pedal in 5x in 5sec then wait 7sec then press and hold gas pedal down until engine light stop blinking with in the the next 3 sec after the light stops blinking let out the pedal and start the car within 20sec but still nothing. In the mist of the swap I notice oil in the intake manifold and wiped that out as well. I have a new batt. an a new alternator. And do notice oil leak on valve cover itself cause of the oil/dirt buildup on the valve cover. Please advise.

·
Registered
287 Posts
High/pulsating idle, after disconnecting and reconnecting electrical connector to throttle position controller such as when cleaning/replacing throttle body.
TOOLS NEEDED: stopwatch or timer showing seconds.

Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning

1. Make sure that accelerator pedal is fully released.
2. Turn ignition switch ON and wait at least 2 seconds.
3. Turn ignition switch OFF wait at least 10 seconds.
4. Turn ignition switch ON and wait at least 2 seconds.
5. Turn ignition switch OFF wait at least 10 seconds.

-----------------------------------------------------

Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning

2. Turn ignition switch ON.
Make sure that throttle valve moves during above 10 seconds by confirming the operating sound.

Idle Air Volume Learning

1. When engine COLD, first perform the Accelerator Released Position procedure and then the Throttle Valve Closed Position procedure.
2. Drive the vehicle for at least 10 minutes to make sure the engine/transmission are fully warmed up. Make sure the battery voltage is more than 12.9V at idle.
3. Put vehicle in Park, turn off all electrical powered stuff, wheels turned straight.
4. Turn key OFF and wait at least 10 seconds.
5. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn key ON (not ignition) and start stopwatch at same time.
6. When stopwatch is at 3 seconds, fully press & release accelerator pedal 5x hard and quickly.
7. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it down for approx. 20 seconds until the MIL stops blinking and turns ON solid.
8. Immediately start the engine and let it idle. It may still likely be a high-rev/pulsating idle.
9. Let it run for about 20 seconds and rev the engine several times.
10. Operation should now be normal except MIL may still be on. It may disappear soon on its own, or you can do the following:

EASY RESET OF Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL)

1. Turn key OFF and wait at least 10 seconds
2. Turn key ON (no ignition), wait 3 seconds, then press & release accelerator 5x hard and quickly.
3. Wait 10 seconds, then fully press accelerator.
4. After about 12 seconds MIL will go off then start blinking. As soon as it starts blinking, release the accelerator.
5. Wait 10 seconds, then fully press accelerator again.
6. Wait 10 seconds, then release the accelerator again.
7. Turn the key to off, then immediately start the engine. The MIL should be gone now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will try this method today or this week some point an let you know how things go.jhst another question do you think bad valve cover gasket could cause an issue? As I notice my valve covers are dirty from oil and dirt covering the cover?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
High/pulsating idle, after disconnecting and reconnecting electrical connector to throttle position controller such as when cleaning/replacing throttle body.
TOOLS NEEDED: stopwatch or timer showing seconds.

Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning

2. Turn ignition switch ON and wait at least 2 seconds.
4. Turn ignition switch ON and wait at least 2 seconds.
5. Turn ignition switch OFF wait at least 10 seconds.

Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning

2. Turn ignition switch ON.
Make sure that throttle valve moves during above 10 seconds by confirming the operating sound.

Idle Air Volume Learning

1. When engine COLD, first perform the Accelerator Released Position procedure and then the Throttle Valve Closed Position procedure.
2. Drive the vehicle for at least 10 minutes to make sure the engine/transmission are fully warmed up. Make sure the battery voltage is more than 12.9V at idle.
3. Put vehicle in Park, turn off all electrical powered stuff, wheels turned straight.
4. Turn key OFF and wait at least 10 seconds.
5. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn key ON (not ignition) and start stopwatch at same time.
6. When stopwatch is at 3 seconds, fully press & release accelerator pedal 5x hard and quickly.
7. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it down for approx. 20 seconds until the MIL stops blinking and turns ON solid.
8. Immediately start the engine and let it idle. It may still likely be a high-rev/pulsating idle.
9. Let it run for about 20 seconds and rev the engine several times.
10. Operation should now be normal except MIL may still be on. It may disappear soon on its own, or you can do the following:

EASY RESET OF Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL)

1. Turn key OFF and wait at least 10 seconds
2. Turn key ON (no ignition), wait 3 seconds, then press & release accelerator 5x hard and quickly.
3. Wait 10 seconds, then fully press accelerator.
4. After about 12 seconds MIL will go off then start blinking. As soon as it starts blinking, release the accelerator.
5. Wait 10 seconds, then fully press accelerator again.
6. Wait 10 seconds, then release the accelerator again.
7. Turn the key to off, then immediately start the engine. The MIL should be gone now.
So I did the above instructions in the first try I was able to reprogram the new throttle body on my 05 nissan maxima 3.5.

I had the negative battery unplug since I posted the above thread then tried the instructed instruction posted above.

Thought I kinda messed up on the 5x push in part on the sec and pushed it like 6 or 7 times I canremember. And also did the MIL reset before the warm up, but it worked and took it for a test drive and in gear at a light in idle it idles from what it looks like 700 or 600 only a estimation by looking at the cluster needle.

No engine light on what so ever. I thank you for this. I was about to take it to the dealership, but I love to learn new things. As this is an area I'm most interested in thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts