The Nissan Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On fords, when you remove the negative on the computer, it not only clears the engine malfunction light but it also resets the computer back to the defaults so the odb-II system can relearn driving habits. I tried this when my engine service light came on but the only thing that occured was the need to reprogram all my stations and clock. I have a odb-II code reader which I can use to clear the codes but is there a fuse or another way you can "reset the computer". I like to do that evey so often and found that my other car always ran better. Also my contour needed to use premium fuel (and if you got a bad load of premium it ran like crap for several cold start stop cycles) and being able to reset it (either by disconnecting the negative or removing fuse number 10 for about 5 minutes) was a plus.

I just installed a k&n drop in and I know that the car needs to develop new fuel/air curves. Right now it is not running as well as it did with the factory filter because I think it is running a little on the lean side.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Now ask me about a contour svt and I can tell you all the tricks

·
Registered
12 Posts
How long did u leave the negative battery terminal disconnected? Usually you have to leave it "over night." Try that and see if that works.

·
Registered
28 Posts
On fords, ford releases software updates quite often. You can get your car "flashed" with the new software at a ford dealer. My brother-in-law (a Ford Tech) does this to my Wife's Mercury every so often. He was doing it at no charge, I'm not sure if you would have to pay for it, or how much it would be at a dealer.

I'm not sure how fords recalibrate. GMs relearn in 50miles, if you drive with varing engine speeds.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
service manual says 24hrs.
Jay

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thurznite:
where in the manual does it say to leave the negative out for a day? And is this safe to do or will i need to do some or stuff afterwards?

·
Registered
113 Posts
hee1 said:
Thurznite:
where in the manual does it say to leave the negative out for a day? And is this safe to do or will i need to do some or stuff afterwards?
He was talking about the service manual, not your owner's manual....you won't find it in there. Only thing I know you'll have to do after re-connecting the battery is set the clock and re-program your radio pre-sets. :p

Kevin

·
Registered
60 Posts
thanks.. cuz some other guy in another forum said

"You need a code scanner and a factory service manual for the car. I don't know if they are available aftermarket for the '02 Altima or not. They're usually not cheap. I assume you're trying to avoid taking it to the dealer?"

and i don't have no code scanner...so..

·
Registered
113 Posts
hee1 said:
thanks.. cuz some other guy in another forum said

"You need a code scanner and a factory service manual for the car. I don't know if they are available aftermarket for the '02 Altima or not. They're usually not cheap. I assume you're trying to avoid taking it to the dealer?"

and i don't have no code scanner...so..
He said that because if you indeed have a problem that continues to make the check engine light light up, and you don't want to take it to the dealer, you will need the book and a scanner to to read the fault code and see whats causing it. Dis-connecting the battery is just a means of "clearing" the car's computer memory and the fault light....its just a way of clearing the warning but doesn't fix the problem if you have one. If you really do have a problem, the light will continue to come back, and you'll have to take it back or find someone who can look at it for you.

Kevin

·
Registered
60 Posts
THANK U SOOOO MUCH EVERYONE FOR UR HELP :):D :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
yeah. The factory service manual I have steps you through troubleshooting with and without the scanner.
some dealers offer free diagnostics. Call around and ask.
Jay

·
Registered
60 Posts
DOESNT WORK!
but i only left it off for like 12hrs..
But then i think i read some article somewhere that the 02altima has some emmission sensor inthe exhaust system.. i'm pretty sure i read this somewhere..
so does that mean that the light can come out because of new exhaust?

·
Registered
113 Posts
hee1 said:
DOESNT WORK!
but i only left it off for like 12hrs..
But then i think i read some article somewhere that the 02altima has some emmission sensor inthe exhaust system.. i'm pretty sure i read this somewhere..
so does that mean that the light can come out because of new exhaust?
The check engine light usually comes on because of a problem with a emmision sensor. It could be as simple as gas cap not on tight enough, a vacuum leak, or a bad O2 sensor which is very common. O2 sensors read the exhaust... measuring the emissions, and its not uncommon for a newer car to have 2 or more of these sensors. I guess I don't understand why you are not taking the car back to the dealer and let them fix it since its under warranty??? :confused:

Kevin

·
Registered
60 Posts
is it? i'm just afraid that they'll start shit with the mods i did..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts