The Nissan Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
X Factor
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Resonators - WTF - Does anyone know

Please explain to me what the hell a resonator is - is it in the exhaust or intake...I took two little "blurps" out of other posts and you can understand my confusion. If it is in the intake or exhaust, pics and steps on how to remove these things would be appreciated, and does it help. I have done A SEARCH (if in the intake - do you cap them off, take them off, is it safe? I heard that one in the intake collects water) Will the one in the exhaust screw something up if I remove it? ( I currently have a header/exhaust/WAI). Will this make my car sound like a "pissed off weed-eater?" I know I have a lot of questions, but I'm sure others will get use out of this as well.

Blurp 1:
"Various posts regarding CAI/WAI mods talk about resonators.
I found the one that is just inside the air intake behind the grill
and there is one I believe inside the air box."

Blurp 2:
"HEADER bolts to the engine (also called "exhaust manifold"), DOWNPIPE bolts to bottom of the header. The DOWNPIPE also includes whats known as the FLEXPIPE, which, like ZCrazy said, allows flex so that the metal doesnt split when your engine rocks back and forth. If you're not familiar with this, open your hood and tug on your throttle cable and watch the engine move. DOWNPIPE bolts to the CATALYTIC CONVERTER (if you have one, we'll assume you do) CAT CONV bolts to CAT-BACK PIPING. CAT BACK PIPING includes the stock resonator. If you have aftermarket piping or something from a muffler shop, this may NOT be there. It looks just like pipe, except it will be a little larger in diameter. At the end of the CAT BACK PIPING is your MUFFLER. Can be either welded or bolt-flanged on."

·
I make people say WHA!?
298 Posts
Resonator is a piece of pipe in the cat-back that muffles up the sound to make it alittle quieter.

·
EXPLICIT EDITION
324 Posts
Just do what I did........

Took my car to the nearest muffler shop and had that bad boy cut-off. You don't need that resonator for anything. Car still passed smog and got better flow through my exhaust. If I can remember I'm pretty sure it was located right after your catalytic converter, another peace you don't need.:flames:

·
X Factor
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MachoMachoMan said:

Geez, I can't believe you spent so much time on your response, how did you ever manage to take that much time out of your day. It's people like you that make the world go 'round. I am so greatful for your efforts....Thank You so much.

·
master of the custom cai
885 Posts
you r exuast resonator looks like a normal pipe, but it goes smaller then back to normals size all around the pipe. hope that helps. makes a big difference in sound when taken off, like mine!! its located right around under the drivers seat under the chassiss.

·
Banned
2,096 Posts
your resonators is a small compartment in your muffler

what it does is balance the high frequency sound of the exhaust, with itself, hence eliminating noise
of course
not all noise is eliminated

there u go

www.howstuffworks.com
its pretty damn simple to read

·
X Factor
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In case anyone is wondering what "HELLO MCFLY< NOT EVEN INITIALS AS CURSES - THANK YOU" is referring to...I put initials in my post for "What the F**K."

Sorry

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Ive got a header and stock cat and stock resonator and my shit is STILL loud and raspy. The raspy "zingy" sound tends to come from the header and is not partial to any rear section exhaust, it will always make that sound with a straight-thru design muffler.

·
maybe another alty soon?
1,509 Posts
Resonator: Next time you look under your car, look for a little bulge in your exhaust piping. Thats a resonator. In your piping you've got a pre-cat, a cat, and a resonator that muffles the sound of your exhaust. Its there for a reason, and if you do a header and cat-back, keep it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts