The Nissan Club banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Let me start by saying that it has been nearly 4 months since my engine died. The thought of me being able to drive my baby again does no less than to bring a tear to my eye and a hard spot to my pants.

Bottom line: Install a 2004 Nissan Maxima 4 Speed Automatic VQ35DE in a 2003 Nissan Altima 5 Speed Stick.

07/03/10: My Engine dies in Rockaway NJ ~1 hour away from home.
07/05/10: The Altima gets towed to the garage I work at.
07/18/10: I drop my subframe with a friend in about 5 hours.
07/19th 2010: Split the engine from the trans
07/20/10: Began removing the heads, noted the guide said to aim the crank pully and check the cam position before removing the heads. My cams were every which one except how it said it should be.
07/21/10: Decided regardless of the problem, it would be uneconomical to rebuild a high millage engine with problems.
10/23/10: I've finally got the funds to replace the engine so I begin looking around.
10/25/10: I decide on a 2004 Maxima engine with 17,006 miles on it for $945.
10/27/10: I ordered the engine from Bessler Auto Parts in Kentucky for $1075 shipped with a 90 day warranty.
10/29/10: The engine has made its 560 mile trip to New Jersey in less than 48 hours. Ordered Trans and PS fluid, axle seals, and exhaust gaskets (not sure if they'll fit my headers though) Forgot to order PS and Serpentine.
11/01/10: 9am Engine work swap begins!
Time to move stuff over!:

11/02/10: 4am done for the day -.- Engine is mounted to trans and on the sub frame, everything installed on it except for AC. Realized the flywheel was scraping the crank position sensor and cracked it, going to need to swap upper oil pans. The crank sensors are also it different spots, the Maxima's is at the 6 o clock and the Altima is at the 9.

Maxima left, Altima right:

Engine (Left) Trans (Right):

Clutch Installed:

11/02/10: No engine work today, had work, didn't go to school though.
11/03/10: 12:30pm engine work continues, first thing was to pull Altima oil pan off, which took mere minutes, then went hunting for gaskets and seals with a friend helping this time. Other than the external differences between the oil pans, there is only one other change, the Maxima baffle plate is bolted to the block, while the Altima has it bolted to the oil pan. Scrubbed the oil pan with carb cleaner and made it shine internally. Reinstalling the oil pan was easy, made sure to use plenty of liquid gasket after scraping the old stuff off. (We reinstalled the oil pan while the engine was still on the subframe and bolted to the trans while hoisted over our heads ^_^) We got the engine mounted in the car with nearly all tubes and connectors hooked up, noticed the Maxima used a macro sub harness for the bank 1 cam sensor and knock sensor, decided to cut my connector off the Altima harness and splice it on the Maxima sensor (Seemed doable, Altima sensor had two leads, but only used one even though the connector had 2 leads as well, spliced it and called it a day. Needed to push the car outside for the night on floor jacks in the rain, floor jacks got stuck and flipped dropping the front end of the car on to the rotors FML.
Maxima engine with the oil pan pulled:

Oil pans (Altima top, Maxima bottom):

Getting ready to put her in:

11/04/10: Still pouring rain outside, and our pavement flooded, I needed to throw the suspension together, I am not moving on the floor jacks again. That was a horrible experience. Eventually got it inside after hours in the rain. Had problems getting passenger axle in, realized the bracket was slightly different, only took a few min to swap. Drivers side was being a bitch, the snap ring was stretched and took an hour to get right, only for me to realize the threads on it were ****ed up. Regardless, it was in and the car was near completion, called it an early night at 8:30pm.

Axle Bracket (Altima top, Maxima bottom):

11/05/10: Decided I was going to play it safe and just order a new axle, which proved to be next to impossible to get within 24 hours, shit. No one had them. Hoped I could just get a new axle nut and let it rethread the axle. Picked up the axle nut and took an air grinding gun and filed down the end of the axle where the messed up threads were, scrubbed the axle with a a scuff pad and pb blaster and was able to hand thread that nut all the way on =)
11/05/10: 5pm first engine start up, won't stay running though. Throwing knock sensor code, guess my wiring rig didn't work right.
11/05/10: 8pm swapped knock sensors, engine still won't stay running, but no SES, must be something basic.
11/05/10: 11pm finally figured out the Maxima intake collector was causing a massive vacuum leak because the holes for the egr, durrrr super dumb mistake, super easy fix.
11/06/10: 3am I went for my first test drive to 711, no fluid leaking at all, gas gauge acting odd could because speedometer isn't hooked up.
11/06/10: 9am dad texting me because i have small leak of power steering fluid on the drive way -.-

Incompatible Maxima parts that need swapping:
Upper Oil Pan (without the baffle plate)
Crankshaft Position Sensor
Knock Sensor
Intake Collector (The Altima doesn't have an EGR which will create a vacuum leak if you leave the Maxima collector on.)
Passenger side axle bracket
Oil cooler (Very similar but different)
Fuel line (It looks like 3/8 but its really 5/16)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Post Install:

First SES scan:

I was only expecting the secondary O2 sensor to pop up but was in for quite a surprise, these codes were mostly due to the fact the speed sensor was unhooked. After clearing the codes the only things that came back were the secondary O2 codes and a VIAs code, the Maxima solenoid ended up being bad.

·
Dragon Slayer
1,526 Posts
Congrats on a successful engine swap. Seems like a good price on a low milage VQ as well.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was a great price for the millage!

I just fixed the speedometer and fuel gauge (btw if you speedo isn't hooked up you fuel guage will act all wonky).

I fixed the power steering almost, just needs a few more turns on a bolt :D

Pics coming soon! :shift:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, the car is a bit of a Frankenstein's creation, trans has like 45k the engine had ~100k, and body is ~156k. LOL.

I took the oil pan off the old engine and there were some tiny bits of metal but very minor, nothing visually wrong, however the camshaft positions looked horribly wrong, I am guessing the timing tensioner went bad, I haven't taken the timing cover off yet just because I can't find my pulley puller.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Added pics!

Purchased intake, ordering exhaust soon.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also a note to those of you who've been around for a while, this is the same Altima that civichatch9one owned ;)

·
2 low 4 fat hoes!!!
7,428 Posts
I knew this car looked familiar. He sold it too you? What did he end up doing?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He ended up getting a black 2010 Civic Si:

·
2 low 4 fat hoes!!!
7,428 Posts
Wtf? Si is a nice car but that's a huge diff in torque.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Nice job. You never responded about fixing my bumper last week .. apparently you were pretty busy. Wanna swap a new VQ in my Altima for me?

Jeremy

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry Jeremy, I've been hella busy doin the swap, what's wrong with your engine? My boss said to bring it in so he can look at it, he refuses to give price ranges -.-

If anyone has questions about the swap feel free to ask :) I'll be parting out my old motor soon.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Post Install:

First SES scan:

I was only expecting the secondary O2 sensor to pop up but was in for quite a surprise, I hope most of this was because the speedometer was unhooked for a few days. I'll drive around for a bit and scan again tomorrow.
2nd reply updated with post install info.

·
Still #1 in 2017
5,274 Posts
Way to go! Awesome stuff man! I was just wondering about civichatch9one. Glad to see his car is still alive and well.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks man!

Hey so I cleared all the codes last night and rescanned today, the only things that popped up were the secondary O2's which is expected cuz I aint got em plugged in, and the P1800 for the VIAS. For shits and giggles I decided to put the VIAS butterfly back on even though I knew the SES is set off by too little or too much voltage. Tomorrow I will try swapping the Maxima VIAs valve with my Altima. Hopefully it clears things up. :p

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.