The Nissan Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay I'll get right to it. My 2003 350z has been having rev drops while on idle or when I'm in gear and dies when I don't apply pressure on the gas pressure. Already replaced spark plugs, air filter, and crank shaft sensor, but problem still persists. Had the battery checked and was told it was still going good.

Going to replace starter, but doubt that it will fix the problem. Engine light is still on going to get it checked this Thursday to clear the engine light and see if it gives me another reading other than P0340 which is the Crankshaft Position Sensor.

Anyone else having the similar issue or think they they know the what problem might be? Much help is appreciated.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Don't replace the starter. No point, it's not even part of a running engine system. Might as well replace the starter in your neighbours car for all the good that will do.

I don't recognize the code above, was that a typo, or missing a digit?

You'd be better off inversting the money you were going to spend on the starter and buy a decent OBDII scanner (not just a code reader) and have a look at some of the live engine stats, particularly the fuel trims, while it is exhibiting the symptoms you have noted. Far more likely to be something like an O2 sensor gone bad...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I've also been having a hard time starting the car after it car stalls and dies as well so that was the reason why I was going to replace it, sorry forgot to mention that. Haven't replaced the starter ever since I had the car so thought it was probably about time to get it replaced, I'm now at 165k Mileage. Error code is actually P0340, sorry for the typo.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
P0340 is telling you to replace your camshaft position sensor(s). You have a VQ so you have two of these and it is always recommended to replace the Crank and Cam sensors at the same time. You also need to replace with the upgraded OEM part with the metal cap, since the aftermarket and original plastic parts fail prematurely. These two sensors will still be cheaper than one starter motor...and will probably fix both problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! You have no idea how much time and money you just saved me! I will get my camshaft sensors replaced and see if that fixes the issue. Will reply with if this fixed the issue or not.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts