The Nissan Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was super bummed yesterday morning when I noticed that my reverse camera didn't come on. One of my favorite features on my car.

I tried turning the car off and turning it back on to see if it would 'reboot' or something but to no avail. When I got off work and it was dark out I noticed that the reverse lights also weren't coming on when I threw it into reverse. And then I thought if the camera itself was broke, then the screen itself would still switch over, but I would probably just get a black screen.

So I have come to the conclusion that maybe the actual switch or whatever that signals the reverse lights and camera to come on, is shot.

Has anybody had this happen? Or would know how difficult of a fix it would be. I really don't want to and don't have time to go to the dealer, but I'm sure they're the only ones who can fix this. If it was just the camera I'd just let it be and have to let go of my favorite feature, but its a safety issue that the reverse lights aren't coming on either and with crazy drivers out there I could get my rear end ripped off trying to back out of a parking spot.

BTW I have the 6spd.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anyone know which fuse it would be? I only saw one for the Rear lamps in general.

I doubt its the bulbs being that both reverse lights and the camera don't come on. If there is no specific fuse for those items, then I am assuming its the actual reverse switch on the tranny. I ran across a Nissan Qashqai forum and they had the same problem. They said the switch was easy to access in the wheel well and was just plug and play, but I don't know if it'll be as easy on the Altima. Also ran across a couple of Honda/Acura forums that had the same problem including reverse tilt mirrors stopped working and it was the reverse switch.

So I guess the next question, does anyone know where that bad boy is? I'm going to do some digging to see if I can find out and if I find out, I'll post it here.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Check out the FSM. I was reading in the AV section that the Rear View monitor System and for the Rear view camera control unit. It receives reverse signal from the back-up lamp relay.

If that back-up lamp relay is bad, then it wouldn't receive the camera wouldn't come on.

I then checked in the EXL section and found that the back-up lamp has Fuse No. 4 in Fuse Block (J/B) that is 10A. On the wiring diagram you can see the Back-Up Lamp Relay E34 after the Joint Block on the schematic on page 95.

Then I went to the PG section and on page PG-36, it shows E34 in the Engine Room Harness (Passenger Compartment).

You an find the FSM on the nicoclub/FSM site. I am referencing volumes and pages for the 2007 Altima.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
264 Posts
I this was a normall automatic transmission I would say your park neutral position switch is the problem.

I'm not sure if these cvt's have a pnp switch or not, but I'm assuming they do!
I'll see if I can dig up an answer on that one.

Edit.
They do indeed have a pnp switch, it's a series of copper contacts at the cvt where the shifter linkage is.
They usually dont go bad, but corrosion builds up on the contacts and they don't communicate properly, telling the car what year it is in.

Taking it apart and cleaning the contacts, and applying dielectric grease works well.

But usually you can temporarily cure this issue by following these instructions.

Put the ignition in position 2 so you are able to shift car out of park. And with the car not running, row the shifter back and forth 12 times from park to drive.
This will clean up the contacts at the pnp switch hopefully, and the car will then know it is being put into reverse.

Worth a shot!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Preciate the tip... but I have the 6-spd. Lol. I have come to the conclusion that its the Back Up Lamp Switch, as it's the only thing that would affect both the Rear View Monitor and the reverse lights. The switch itself is pretty inexpensive.

The issue is now is how hard is it to replace and if I can do it myself... I looked in the FSM and found the 6-spd Exploded view on TM-28 and it shows where the switch is on the transmission... but I honestly don't know where it is in relation to everything else.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Ok... so update... Everything started randomly working again, reverse lights and camera. don't know why, the only thing I can think of is I bottomed out and tapped a huge speed bump in a parking lot the last time I parked and when I got back in the car to leave a couple hours later it was working again and has been since. I'll see if it holds up.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I know this thread is a bit old, but I'm having similar problems. My reverse lights are not working. Here's what I've screwed up so far...

I'm replacing the radio with a pioneer 3700 double din with rear backup camera.

All was going well until my buddy talked me into wiring up a relay so the DVD player would work while driving. It takes the parking brake signal and sends it to the radio at all times...

SO...when I wired up the relay, I heard a small 'tick' like a fuse popping or relay turning on, and now I don't have reverse lights.

I have checked all the fuses under the dash and the fusebox under the hood. And the reverse bulbs are good. There is no specific 'reverse light' fuse.

After endless searching, it looks like the back-up lamp relay may have popped, but I can't find it....

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!!

EDIT: I tested all 4 of the relays behind the fusebox under the dash, all 4 tested perfect.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this thread is a bit old, but I'm having similar problems. My reverse lights are not working. Here's what I've screwed up so far...

I'm replacing the radio with a pioneer 3700 double din with rear backup camera.

All was going well until my buddy talked me into wiring up a relay so the DVD player would work while driving. It takes the parking brake signal and sends it to the radio at all times...

SO...when I wired up the relay, I heard a small 'tick' like a fuse popping or relay turning on, and now I don't have reverse lights.

I have checked all the fuses under the dash and the fusebox under the hood. And the reverse bulbs are good. There is no specific 'reverse light' fuse.

After endless searching, it looks like the back-up lamp relay may have popped, but I can't find it....

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!!

EDIT: I tested all 4 of the relays behind the fusebox under the dash, all 4 tested perfect.
Interesting post. I have a similar situation. Got urs sorted out? Id assume urs had to do with whatever mechanism activates the reverse lights after u have moved the gear selector to the reverse position.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts