The Nissan Club banner

Reverse Lockout Mechanism

10K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  keolabarney 
#1 ·
'05 6MT SE-R here....

So, I went pop my shifter into reverse, heard a snap, and nothing would go into gear....with further investigation, I snapped off the white plastic reverse lockout piece that is attached to the shifter under the boot. (not the piece on the outside of the shifter, the actual mechanism under the boot)

I pulled the piece out, and everything shifts fine now....but there is quite a bit of play in shifter and, of course, I can throw the thing into reverse at any time.

I took it into the dealership and they don't want to cover this under the drivetrain warranty....furthermore, the entire assembly has to be replaced, which Nissan claims is about $450 (ouch!!).

Several questions....

1) Is the 6MT reverse lockout just like the 5 speeds in the other Altima's?? If it is, I can probably find a salvage shifter assembly much easier. If it is unique to the SE-R, this may be difficult to find.

2) Has anyone installed a STS and disengaged or just removed the lockout mechanism? I'm okay with removing this if the STS removes some of the play that is now in the shifter....

Any other thoughts??

See less See more
#2 ·
Not a lot of details, but I know the reverse lockout on the 5 spd. is different than that on the 6 spd. The 5 spd. has no actual lockout . When you shift from 5th down to 4th, the shifter is prevented from slipping into reverse by simply bypassing that gate on the way back to 4th. The shifter has to pause in neutral, as in coming from 4th to 5th, and not continuing up to 5th, but pushing the shifter far right, and then pulling back to reverse. As with any lockout of this type, you can make a mistake and over-ride the "lockout feature". I'm not even sure the shifter from an 07+ would work on yours, because I've heard the reverse is on the other side of the pattern on the 07+.

#4 ·
same thing

Hey Smoke,
Last night after a football game I got into my 06 SE-R, and no reverse. All other gears work fine, but whether or not I lift up the reverse lock, it goes into 6th.

I didn't hear any kind of snapping or any sounds at any point. I haven't had the opportunity to look under the leather pouch yet, but I was hoping it was something simple like a connecting-part breaking as opposed to a complete transmission failure.

Naturally this happens on Christmas Eve so I'll have to wait a few days.

Have you had any progress with the dealership? If I'm told it's not going to be covered, we'll have some problems. The 2006 has only 12,500 miles (live in Hawaii, no place to drive).

Thanks for any help, good luck w/yours too.

#5 ·
As a followup, the dealership inspected and said that some kind of a clipping broke that links the Reverse-lock-release to the shifter.

The solution temporarily was when I needed reverse, I'd have to unscrew the shift-knob to almost off, and that would raise the release enough that it would indeed go into reverse.

They ordered a new shift-assembly as with you, Smoke.

I got the impression that this connecting mechanism is flimsy (car only had 12,500miles and driven lightly) and wouldn't be surprised if this happens again. My 3 year warranty is almost up and I wonder if they warranty their warranty repairs for more than that?

Did you end up being charged for the install, Smoke? How they can say that's not powertrain is ridiculous.

And, as an aside, when the part didn't come in in a week, I called Parts...was told they'd call back...so I called Parts back again when they didn't call...and they said they'd call back...and so the THIRD time I called, after 20 minutes on hold, I was told that the part came in about a week ago but was mislabeled. Some things never change.

#6 ·
The piece that broke on mine is a white plastic piece that attaches to the spring on the actual shifter.....it lifts when you pull up on the lockout mechanism and allows you to move the shifter over the reverse position.

I haven't had it fixed by the dealership - no way I'm spending $450 for that crap. I'll live with it or hope to find one at a junkyard someday.

I bought the Axxtion short throw shifter kit, and it has helped some with the play in the shifter, but it is still a little sloppier than I'd like.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.