The Nissan Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I accepted a written offer last week for a sales position. It defined base pay, commissions, bonuses, vacation, sick/holidays, start date next week, etc. I was happy with it, so I turned down the other offers I had.

Yesterday, I get a letter with a "Revised job offer". They tell me that the offer that was made was not for their newly defined job description. In short, now if I don't make sales quotas, I don't get a base pay.

Before:
90 days training: Base pay + 100% commissions.
After 90 days
Option 1: Base pay + 25% commissions
Option 2: Base pay - $700/month, + 100% commish

Now:
90 days training: Base only (no commish)
After 90 days
Base pay - $700month, + 100% commish, and minimum sales quota to keep base.

Money is really tight right now. I've turned down my other job offers because I accepted this one. How can I tactfully tell them this is unfair and that I won't be happy unless they stick to their original offer. I know they can do whatever they want and that this is not a good representation of the company, but I need this job right now.

I already signed the first offer and faxed it back to them. They also acknowledged receiving it. Help! Advice?

·
Firday ringleader
2,040 Posts
if you signed the first contract, dont sign this new one.... they have to make good on it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I'm really pissed about it. I was gonna really enjoy this week of "vacation" before I started.

I want to sue them, but I don't think that would accomplish my goals. I'm writing an email and I'm working on the wording right now. I want to be strong, but not piss them off.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Listen to Ekin.

Or send this....

Dear.......
Thank you for your letter,dated..... . After careful
consideration I regret to inform you that I am unable to accept your
revised job offer. This year I have been
particularly fortunate in receiving an unusually large number of
rejection letters. With such a varied and promising field of candidates
it is impossible for me to accept all refusals.
Despite your company's outstanding qualifications and previous
experience in rejecting applicants, I find that your review does not
meet my needs at this time. Therefore I will start work with your
company on ......... I look forward to seeing you
then.
Regards

As I said,listen to Ekin.
This is a counter-offer which you are not bound to accept.
They made an offer previously and you have accepted unconditionally,thus they are bound.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^ hahaha, damn, I wish I read this before I sent out the reply letter. I pretty much told them that any where you work, there needs to be trust...blah blah, offer made - signed, should be honored. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks guys!

·
Firday ringleader
2,040 Posts
^good luck, keep us posted

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Do you have a copy of the signed original offer?

I agree completely that a written offer from a person at the company with authority to do so and then you sign constitutes a legally binding agreement and that they need to honor it. If they play hardball you should probably walk away since that could be a good indicator of what life will be like working for them.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
What's the point of sueing? If he wins, do you know how much tension and animosity that is going to be created before he even begins a single day there.

That truly sucks bro. I would so pissed if i got something like that. can you still call up the other places and ask them if the offer is still available? they might still be interviewing candidates. A phone call won't hurt.

·
3,840 Posts
dsuave624 said:
What's the point of sueing? If he wins, do you know how much tension and animosity that is going to be created before he even begins a single day there.

That truly sucks bro. I would so pissed if i got something like that. can you still call up the other places and ask them if the offer is still available? they might still be interviewing candidates. A phone call won't hurt.
yeah, that would be a very good move actually.

·
A d m i n
225 Posts
dsuave624 said:

Agreed - if you sue you get a larger percent of nothing. If you sue you'll end up without a job. You can't win.

This could be an honest clarical mistake - if so ask them to make good on it for at least a year and tell them after a year they will realize that you are worth it.

I'd also suggest contacting a previous offer you refused. Just explain QUICKLY that you reconsidered thei offer because of (some crap about a new product they have or you spoke to users of their items and have heard great things - you can't make up too much crap but let them know it was your mistake to turn down their offer and you want to redeem yourself)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts