The Nissan Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a wierd problem with my 1st Gen. Every once in a while the car will only run in 3rd and Over-drive. It will not start in 1st, nor can I manually put it into first. Shutting off the car and re-starting it clears the problem.

I have put the A/T computer into Diagnostic mode, and the code it spits out says there is a short/disconnected circuit in the Revolution Sensor.

I talked to a dealer and a new sensor is $205, but they never really heard of this problem. Does anybody know where this revolution sensor is? Or has any advice?

Thanks.

·
Resistance is futile
1,713 Posts
Actually....
http://www.altimas.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15688
But it hasn't done it since. I didn't get it to go into overdrive, though, only 3rd.
I would check electrical connectors to the trans before buying any new parts at $205, though. It would have to be on/in the trans, but the Haynes manual doesn't say much about the trans, only that it is beyond the ability of most DIY mechanics and take it to a qualified blah-blah-blah... If anyone on here with the factory service manual could chime in, I'm sure it talks about it in there.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
The revolution sensor hooks up to the speedometer/odometer then to the ECU. If your speedo is working, the problem must between it and the ECU.

·
Nissan Pimp *stolen*
413 Posts
kenshi said:
The revolution sensor hooks up to the speedometer/odometer then to the ECU. If your speedo is working, the problem must between it and the ECU.
My ex had that problem on her Dodge Avenger, except hers wouldn't upshift, it would go from first to second, and not go into third at all. We'd be on the Hwy and she'd put in neutral, and shutdown and restart from a roll, and then it would work fine. She still doesn't know what the problem is, but I don't talk to her much anymore anyways.

·
Resistance is futile
1,713 Posts
kenshi said:
Are you saying the revolution sensor is another name for the VSS, then?

·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the revolution sensor is the same as the vehicle speed sensor, why does the circuit diagram in the Haynes manual list it as two separate parts?

And why does the A/T computer list two separate trouble codes for each of the sensors?

How can a sensor for monitoring speed and one for monitoring engine revolutions be the same?

Just a little confused.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
It could be that 1gens are different, but I’m going by what the 2001 FSM says. The revolution sensor (aka VSS) measures the revolutions of an idler gear in the transmission to measure vehicle speed, not engine speed. I think the camshaft position sensor measures engine speed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having the same problem with my 95, I have the check engine light on and the od light blinks everytime I start the car, I took it to autozone to have the codes read, and it came back vss sensor, I also did the tcu test as listed in another post on this site and it also came back vss, so I replaced the sensor, reset the ecu by using the screw on the side of it and the check engine went off for about 2 days and now its back with the vss code again, this has been giving me this problem for 2 years, and the car runs fine and the speedo works fine, I just finally got tired of looking at that check engine light and decided to replace the sensor. Now on my car the sensor is just a magneitic one, (I THINK) about 2 1/2" long, not the one with the gears on it that I've heard others talk about in previous post, If any one could help that would be great, I thought after replacing the sensor that my problems whould go away, but not my luck, I also checked the wires and cleaned the plug in part with contact cleaner, nothing helps,also I noticed my crusie control sometimes does'nt work and some times it does and when it does work and I have it set at a speed and use the decel or accelerate on the steering wheel, the cruise control light flashes and stops working.

·
'99 GXE Automatic
161 Posts
holy bump.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My car is having some idle trouble and this code came up when I diagnosed my transmission. Bump for new info? Its a 93 nissan altima gxe and its also calling for knock sensor. Did tune up and replaced fuel compenents and it still has a stall on idle, occasionally. I need more information on this!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts