The Nissan Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
SHIFT_performance
779 Posts
Yes, the 3.5SE has the sport suspension, it's stiffer and handles a bit better. The sport package option gives you a sunroof and spoiler, no further suspension modifications.

·
Shift_???
136 Posts
you're right, the 3.5SE does have a Sports suspension system, but my guess is if you lower the suspension on a 2.5S/SL you'll get as much improvement as you would have on the stock springs from the 3.5..!!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
BlueAlti'03 said:
you're right, the 3.5SE does have a Sports suspension system, but my guess is if you lower the suspension on a 2.5S/SL you'll get as much improvement as you would have on the stock springs from the 3.5..!!
If you lower the car with eibachs on a 2.5 it'll rape a stock 3.5SE suspension.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
TweekersAltima said:
dis is berry berry tru.
My car almost handles like my dads 330i. :confused: I guess its the tires. Controlling the car is a breeze, but the 330i exhibits about the same body roll, but the tires on it are meatier. We'll see what happens once i get rims with tires, then I think it'll be better then a 330i.

·
Altimas.net
4,928 Posts
A BMW 330I should be able to work a Altima in handling....3.5 or 2.5. That car is very well engineered so that if on a race track it will show that it is a BMW, plus the fact that its rear wheel drive and already has a lower center of gravity helps as well.

Compring a 2.5 to a 3.5 in handling, well consider that the 4 cylinder Altima has about 100-200 less lbs, but when corner the 3.5 can just take off out of the turn a lot faster....not a fair race :D

·
SHIFT_performance
779 Posts
And let's not forget that BMW is the benchmark most sporty cars are aimed at. ;) Yeah, RWD makes a big difference in handling, because the transmission and differential are mounted further back, rather than right infront of the wheels in a FWD. You can also get the rear of a RWD car to come out, which few FWDs can claim.

FWD has its advantages though, like better traction in bad weather, and the fact that the rear of the car won't come out and possibly cause a spin.

I don't know though, I think the Altima could be a good RWD car, that would eliminate the awful torque-steer we have now.

We can always dream. ;)

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Almost without exception a RWD will beat a FWD in the corners every time if we're talking similar characteristics and setup. One exception to that is the late 2000 SVT Contour which was capable of .92 g's on a 200 foot skid pad with the stock KDW g-force tires. To my knowledge, BMW has nothing in their sedan or coupe department to match those numbers, including the new M3.

But if you want to get serious about racing, forget a FWD car. In drag racing, formula, NASCAR, or anything involving corners a RWD is the way to go.

·
Willow Springs, Turn 4
1,034 Posts
TweekersAltima said:
dis is berry berry tru.
How would you know..... ???

Yer afraid to take it out on the track :davey:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts