The Nissan Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Autobahn is a used dealership that registers online at cars.com in the Boston area. First of all, they wanted me to pay $500 cash as down payment but I wrote them a check anyways. When I asked if the 98 Altima was ever in an accident the dealer said no. When I checked in Carfax later in the day it said it was in an accident and a police report was filed. When I confronted him he said, "not to my knowledge."

So I said I'm leaving and taking my deposit. The sales manager comes and offers to negotiate. We settled for $500 less, shakes my hand, but then he asks me to put an additional $400 down payment to the $1000 I put in before. He says I can pay that now or he'll add it back into the financing. Guess what he did? The sales manager deducts $500 and then adds the "down payment" $400 back to the total price!

Basically I was only getting $100 off from what we agreed. From my understanding, if the car is $8500 as we agreed on verbally, and I put $1000 deposit, the car is $7500. Now if I don't want to put an additional $400 down payment, the car should still be $7500. Autobahn added the $400 "down payment" to the total price so now I'm paying for a car that's $8900 instead of $8500 as we had agreed.

When it was time to sign, the dealer didn't give me the sale invoice first. He gave me the financing invoice, and told me I "shouldn't look" at the financing cause it doesn't matter. (the financing had different price than the actual sale price.) He did some numbers on a piece of paper, which kinda made sense and lied about how much I was raelly paying cause he didn't tell me that price was minus the $xtra fees (at the time I didn't know the $400 was added back in). After I signed the financing invoice he slipped me the sale invoice. This was my first time buying from a dealer, so I learned a lesson -- I should've asked to take those invoices home and look carefully over them. I have called them back hoping we can settle this mutually but they haven't called back. I'm filing a consumer complaint and taking them to small claims court. Plus, they put their stupid logo on the trunk without my permission, which is a $200 fine here in MA.

·
Future Z Driver
800 Posts
Wow, that sounds awful. Frankly, the best way to deal with a dealer who tries to cheat you is not to buy from them. If you do buy you've basically rewarded them for trying to cheat you. Plus you'll have a tough time getting any compensation from them now that you've completed the sale.

I didn't know it was illegal for dealers here to put their logo on the trunk. I thought my dealer was just being nice by not doing it on my Altima. Guess I know better now. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, it says here http://www.state.ma.us/consumer/New/pr021800.htm by the states Attorney General that without written permission they shouldn't put their logo on the car or plate. I don't mind being a billboard for good dealerships but I have no intention of advertising a dealership that rips people off. Gonna take pictures of their logo and report them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update

This may give hope to some who been ripped off...

After yelling and writing threatening letters saying I was going to take them to court, the dealer paid me the money he had "promised" before the sale. It took about 3 months to settle, my advice is don't give up and let them screw you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts