The Nissan Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
enlighten me
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to take the altima in to have the wheels rotated yesterday and apparently the shop was so busy the guy told me it would be a couple of hours. I decided to rotate them myself and save the 15 bucks. Went for a test drive afterwards and they seem just as smooth as ever. Is there any drawback to doing this yourself?

·
Bad Boys are Back!!!
12,088 Posts
Just see if the vehicle doesn't pull towards a certain direction, maybe then you will have to go back to them to do wheel balancing.........but if its not doing that, you just saved yourself $15 !!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
It's a good idea to have a tire shop rotate AND balance your tires. More than likely you'll need small weight adjustments on a tire or two...but you won't know that if you rotate them yourself.

·
enlighten me
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do they rebalance the tires when they rotate them? I thought you had to pay extra to have them do that again.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
15,286 Posts
johnmann said:
Do they rebalance the tires when they rotate them? I thought you had to pay extra to have them do that again.
No they don't..that is extra..You should not need balanced if you are not having any vibrations.

You saved yourself not only a little money..but time and the good chance they will fark up one of your wheels with thier carelessness..I did my own

·
Harley Polly
570 Posts
johnmann said:
Is there any drawback to doing this yourself?
None, but do it safely. Block your tires, to prevent slide overs, and don't trust car jacks with your life. Period! (I use a hydraulic floor jack, and back it up with short lengths of 6x6 lumber)

Some of your tires may be unidirectional. If you're unfamiliar with the term, it means that many performance tires have arrows on the sidewalls, and can only be mounted to go in one direction. I don't know if the Bridgestones are, mine are wrapped up and put away. I believe my Michelins are unidirectional, so check your tires.

If you're new at this, proper tightening of nuts is essential. I bought a torque wrench for about $20. I can't remember offhand but the torque should be around 80-85 foot-lbs for our machines.
Tighten opposing sides, and all should be well!

PG :D

·
Registered
432 Posts
What he said!!

·
Shift_lefty
1,001 Posts
Save yourself the coin. 80-85 ft/lbs is correct for the altima. Make sure you check the torque after 25-50 miles as they may loosen after they've been rotated. Also, establish a pattern and stick too it. For me I do front to back straight, then the backs diagonally across to the fronts. (Stock tires) Pick a mileage interval and stick to that as well. For snows every 3k, regular radials 5000-7500 should suffice.

Like Pierre said, do it safe. You don't need you car crashing to the ground. Pay extra for a good jack or two and get chocks as well. They could save you life!

·
Harley Polly
570 Posts
Altimaxnh said:
Save yourself the coin. 80-85 ft/lbs is correct for the altima. Make sure you check the torque after 25-50 miles as they may loosen after they've been rotated. Also, establish a pattern and stick too it. For me I do front to back straight, then the backs diagonally across to the fronts. (Stock tires) Pick a mileage interval and stick to that as well. For snows every 3k, regular radials 5000-7500 should suffice.
Thanks for this information, good technique and numbers!

Pierre

1 - 9 of 9 Posts