The Nissan Club banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2006 2.5L Altima with 190,000 miles. About a year ago the car started stalling on rare occasions while I was stopped at traffic lights. About 6 months ago I got the engine codes associated with the camshaft and crankshaft position sensors. I picked up and installed new sensors from the local dealership, but unfortunately they were the old model sensors without the metal cap. The problem seemed to be fixed but the past few weeks the car has been acting up again. So far no check engine lights. I went ahead and replaced the crankshaft sensor this morning with the updated model hoping to solve the problem (ran about $100 for the updated OEM part), but the problem persists. Should I go ahead and drop another hundred bucks to do the camshaft sensor too? What are the odds that both the camshaft and crankshaft sensors I bought half a year ago have already crapped out on me? Would it be detrimental to the car in any way to replace the camshaft sensor with the crankshaft sensor I just removed from the car, just to see if the camshaft sensor was actually the problem all along while the crankshaft sensor was fine? Any help is appreciated

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I just bought a car that is doing that exact same thing.

Check the compression on all four cylinders. The good reading should be around 150psi.

Two of my cylinders were bad as in one cylinder read 50 psi, and the other was 75psi.

I pulled the head, and poured gas into the exhaust port on one of the bad cylinders. The gas just poured out of the exhaust valves.

I then poured gas into the port of the other bad cylinder. Same thing gas pours out of the valves. I then tried the other two exhaust ports, and they held the gas just fine. I then tried all of the intake ports, they all held the gas just fine.

So off to the machine shop went the head for a valve job.

IF you have to do this, it would be a good time to change the timing chain/guides/and tensioners.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts