The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
SE Wannabee
275 Posts
do you have a 5 speed manual or 4 speed auto?, i have an auto and it does just over 3 grand at 80 MPH. If your in 5th you probably rev lower i would assume. If the OD was off it would rev even higher correct? Overdrive is to help you save gas when cruising.

·
Registered
787 Posts
perhapes I am missing something rather large here, but aside from the choice of gears(4th or 5th) nothing(ac, mods, etc...) will effect what rpm you are at when you are going 80mph. this is determined by the gear ratio ( ratio of engine speed to wheel speed). so unless you have a modified tranny or non-stock wheel size( in which case the speedo will still tell you the same speed) it will be the same.
also overdrive just determines whether it will use the 4th gear in an auto tranny, so again that is just a matter of gear choice.

·
Lookin' for a hooptie
1,125 Posts
i gotta agree with that.
especially in an auto tranny below 3000 seems odd for 80mph unless you guys are running undersized wheels which make the car think its going faster than it really is.

·
I'm the drunk member
1,196 Posts
^^^ no undersized wheels, and w/o overdrive it will go up to 4000+ and overdrive = same gear ratio as 5th gear in manual.

Now there is another thing I found, take your car up to 60 and try to accelerate slightly, u will see rpm going slow, try to push it more and u will notice that tranny downshifts with around 300 - 500rpm difference, and at that point turn off o/d and rpm jumps way more. Feels like there is another gear in the car. I told my friend to try this on his 95 and he noticed the same downshifting

·
Altimaboy
1,726 Posts
Mine is at 2900 rpm at 80 mph. I think it also depends on how warm your engine is. I live close to the interstate, and in the mornings, I notice that it revs about 3100 at 80mph, but when I leave work, in the hot sun, the car heats up quicker and it revs at 2900rpm.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts