The Nissan Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I've been noticing this quite a lot for quite some time now and idk why this is happening. When ever going downhill, no matter what speed I'm going, I notice my rpm fluctuates up to about 2k and drops back down to normal. This usually happens right at the beginning of the downhill. Also I am off the gas during this time. Anyone know what this is? Is this normal or do I have a problem? Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Ok so I've been noticing this quite a lot for quite some time now and idk why this is happening. When ever going downhill, no matter what speed I'm going, I notice my rpm fluctuates up to about 2k and drops back down to normal. This usually happens right at the beginning of the downhill. Also I am off the gas during this time. Anyone know what this is? Is this normal or do I have a problem? Thanks for your time.
Your car is going from a load(power required to go over hill) to that of little(coasting). Your rpms will drop then and id say thats normal.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
didnt you ask a question like this already?

its how the CVT works ie normal

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I did ask this before but I didn't get enough feedback about it. Thanks for the info. I'm just not used to the way cvt works compared to conventional automatics. But if u guys say this is normal I'll take your word for it and try not to let it bother me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
This function is called ENGINE BRAKE and if you don't like it the dealer can disable it for free.

.................................................. ...........................
From the Nissan Factory Service Manual:

TM-105
DOWNHILL ENGINE BRAKE CONTROL (AUTO ENGINE BRAKE CONTROL)

When downhill is detected with the accelerator pedal released, the engine brake will be strengthened up by downshifting so as not to accelerate the vehicle more than necessary.

TM-111
WORK SUPPORT MODE

ENGINE BRAKE ADJ. The engine brake level setting can be canceled.

CONFORM CVTF DETERIORATION:The CVT fluid deterioration level can be checked.

Engine Brake Adjustment

“ENGINE BRAKE LEVEL”
0: Initial set value (Engine brake level control is activated)
OFF: Engine brake level control is deactivated.

CAUTION:
Mode of “+1” “0” “−1” “−2” “OFF” can be selected by pressing the “UP” “DOWN” on CONSULT-III screen. However, do not select mode other than “0” and “OFF”. If the “+1” or “−1” or “−2” is selected, that might cause irregular driveability.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh really? I didn't know engine break caused rpm to do that. Thanks for clearing it up. Btw I was thinking about disableing it. What's your opinion on it?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I myself like this function, I didn't have it in my old 2002 Toyota with A/T and for the last 11 years I had to cost down the hills next to my home, at one of them I would start at 40 and at the bottom of the hill I would reach 75, that was a hell of a ride.

Now with the Altima, I start at 40 and at the bottom of the hill it would reach no more the 55, same as when I had manual transmission and down shifted to a lower gear.

Many people don't like this function and would like to cost freely down hills.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Guys
I hv altima 2010 2.5l, the rpm fluctuates too much while driving especially when going up hill. Additionally, morning when i start the car, then it moves very slowly and heavily until the speed reaches 60 km approximately. At this point some lights like slip light come on the dashboard and I do feel like there is resistance to shift to the new gear.
So once the slip light comes the car shifts and it becomes no more heavy

Still rpm continues to fluctuate during driving

Please help

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
any odd noises from the transmission?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.