The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
2015 Nissan Altima S 2.5
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I noticed a funny-looking rubber "strap" hanging from the bottom of my car underneath the driver's door. It was held on at two points and one point apparently came loose.

I went to the dealership and the service manager said it was a very common problem with new Altimas. It took him about thirty seconds to fix it - amounted to him using a new pop rivet with a small collar on it. BAM! Fixed.

He did not even know its purpose, but said that many owners have come into the service department with the same issue on their cars.

Just a little FYI.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I had the same thing happen. I fixed it myself, and then it happened again. Now I'm just ignoring it.

I think it must have something to do with aerodynamics, because I can't see any other real purpose for the part.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Same thing happen to me but on the passenger side. Had some extra pop rivet tabs and re attached it.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Happens to me often. Dealer fixes it for me when I come In.

·
Registered
195 Posts
It seems like this used to happen on my Altima nearly every time I had the tires rotated, or winter/summer tires put on. On my 2013, the side that comes loose is held in place by a bolt. I just loosen the bolt a bit so the plastic part can slide back into place and re-tighten the bolt. I think I added a larger washer the last time it happened. It didn't happen the last 2or 3 times I had the car in for tire work or service. Maybe the washer helped?

·
2015 Nissan Altima S 2.5
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

If it hangs down, you'll definitely see it as you walk up to your car. It is the size of a rubber "bungee cord" and would hang down to about an inch or two above the ground.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

There should be a little piece behind the wheel that's sticking out.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I threw that thing away LOL

·
2013 Altima 3.5 SV no nav
1,055 Posts

If it hangs down, you'll definitely see it as you walk up to your car. It is the size of a rubber "bungee cord" and would hang down to about an inch or two above the ground.
Mine was on the driver side, it looked like a rubber air management blade of some kind like a tiny mud flap but in the center of the car. Mine was attached with a plastic snap-in fastener near the side of the car and the other end had a hole that attached with a bolt. The hole for the bolt had tron out and the bolt was loose but still there. So I took the bolt out, put a washer on it and tightened the bolt back. The extra size of the washer grips over the hole area and holds the flap in place even with the hole torn out.

I didn't have ramps so I just ran the front tires of the car up on a curb to get some room to work under there.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Anyone discover the purpose of this?

Is that located behind the front wheels?

If so, it might be to prevent any debris/rocks the front wheels might kick up from hitting the under body.

·
2015 Nissan Altima S 2.5
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

A year ago, the piece came loose and was hanging down on the driver's side. The dealer fixed it quickly and I never had trouble with it again. Today, I noticed one hanging down on the PASSENGER side. I suspect it was from driving through deep snow this past weekend.

Perhaps I'll have them look at it when I take it to the dealership the next time (which is likely going to be when the new "hood latch recall" work is done). They fixed the hood latch once, but there is supposed to be a NEW recall for the 2013+ Altima.

I honestly do now know what this little rubber strap is supposed to do, but it bugs me to see it hanging like that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts