The Nissan Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I’m looking at a 1991 GTS-T 4-door.
The owner states the coolant is rusty every time he has tried to flush it. There is a coolant leak that he isn’t sure where it’s coming from as well. I don’t mind replacing rad, water pump, thermo if need be..but I’m worried if the head gasket could possibly be blown or going bad? The car has 117k kilos but has a swapped engine.
If I do find where it is leaking coolant, what would be the bad spots it could be leaking from?
At what point do I turn away from buying the car I guess. Thanks in advance!

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
7,040 Posts
If you can get it cheap enough you could afford to drop another engine in...maybe. Sounds like a pile of trouble to me though, so if wrenching isn't your idea of fun, walk away.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Walk away.

Rusty coolant is the mark of somebody not keeping enough antifreeze in the coolant and using too much water. Cheap. If the car had the proper amount the rust will stop after a while and then stay gone.

The problem there is the freeze plugs, a few may be easy to get to when they rust out to leak but some will force you to yank engine to change a $1 part. Not my idea of fun. Likely the coolant leak now.

Owner has told you he has used less than correct amount of AFZ repeatedly, you should listen to that. Engine already swapped at that low mileage screams more abuse.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He admitted to driving it hard, said he done a lot of burn outs etc and eventually the rings went bad, so he swapped to a different engine from JDM motor import in CA which he showed paperwork of. The car also comes with the original motor(bad rings) and transmission.
He said he was daily driving the car until he bought something else with good heat etc and parked the skyline for about a year..only driving it a few times since it’s leaking coolant and was rusty.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
7,040 Posts
Run away.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine had rusty coolant when I bought it with 44k km and it would puke coolant out of the overflow tank. It's pretty easy to tell if it's doing this, because the area around the tank will be orange. I pressure tested the system and it didn't loose any pressure. Turned out to be a bad radiator cap. I picked up a new cap from a nissan dealer for less than $20. The exact part number for the skyline is shared with a USDM Infiniti, so I was able to go with an OEM replacement.

Also, when flushing the heater core, it has an electric controlled water valve inside the dash. Make sure you set the heat to max first, otherwise that valve will be closed and you can't flush it. I thought the dang thing was plugged. I did an initial flush of just water and I couldn't get anything out of the heater core. I then added a coolant flush product and ran the car that way for a week with the heat on. When I went to flush the heater core, it flowed freely. I though, "It's fixed!". Everything was still kinda rusty colored from what I could tell, so I decided to run another flush through it, but this time, after I had run the car for a few days, I had turned the AC down, because it had gotten warm and I found I couldn't flush the heater core again. It then dawned on me that maybe there had to be a valve somewhere inside the dash. I felt pretty ridiculous after that realization, but I was happy to not have to tear the dash apart to replace the heater core. I live in Texas, so I might have never ended up replacing it.

It's been a about 8 months and it still holds fine and the coolant is still nice and green.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts