The Nissan Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
REALLY rainy night...goin down a hill...fog...curve...too late...off the road...into telephone supporters at 30mph...

Welp, i'm alive. Thank you God. Alty still runs. No front to it...

Tip: When raining and foggy, SLOW DOWN!!!!

I'm still pretty shakin up, can't believe i missed the telephone pole by about 10 feet. I was goin about 45 when out the fog came a curve, slammed on brakes hydro'd off rode into supporters. Was too shaken by accident to take out digicam to take pics.

I hope insurance covers this. Anyone know if it will? Like will the insurance company be like "No money for you! You have mods on the car!" Thanks for any input. I have full coverage if anyone wants to know so I hope they give me money to fix it.

BTW, aren't air bags supposed to pop at a 30mph headon collision?? :confused:

·
good one Fonzie
11,588 Posts
I know the airbags deploy if you were braking, but if not, i'm not sure if they do or not...they should IMO.

·
Speed addict
44 Posts
That sucks. I think they will, but not sure. If they do, they'll more then likely rise your rate.
Oh they only will pay you for what a OEM parts would cost. That sucks again!

·
Registered
48 Posts
airbags deploying has nothing to do with braking or not i know that the earlier first gens had weird sensors for the bags or should i say lack of sensitivity

·
Incognito
6,134 Posts
30mph is borderline... it's supposed to be the impact force and the area that was hit. it sounds like it was a strong hit, but not as fast as you think, if only your front end is dammaged, you hit at a lesser speed. did the cops measure your tire tracks?

·
1st Gen SE Lover
2,520 Posts
Damn I hate it when that happens :angry4:

Good thing you weren't going too fast and didn't get hurt.

Depends on your insurance. Before I started modding I talked with my state farm agent. Full coverage including mods.

So exactly where was this at? I'm pretty close by in Madison.

·
Golden Member
1,834 Posts
usually if u have undeclared mods to the car, the insurance will rape you....

sorry to hear about your accident tho... main thing... u're okay ! :)

·
Registered
904 Posts
glad your ok. glad the car is running to! did you have insurance look at your car after you modded it? a friend of mine made sure his car + mods were fully covered just in case someone tried to steal it.

·
Resident drunken chef!
2,524 Posts
Sorry to here that, I wrecked my modded 93 and they only were going to give me enough to return to stock. They ended up totaling it, so I bought it back and had enough money to fix it.

·
4,020 Posts
You have to purchase extra coverage rider for mods and add ons to be covered, usually only $500 in add on accessories are covered.
As for the airbag not deploying, three things could have happened. The sensor behind the bumper didn't sense enough shock to deploy, the airbag system is messed up, or if you car was purchased used and the airbags previously were deployed and someone did a shady repair and just foam filled them (I have seen this done, regardless of how distrurbing the fact is).

·
Registered
494 Posts
Hate to say it, but I think it's real important for those of us who don't have abs to develop our threshold braking skills. Coming off the brake pedal actually gives you better stopping distances on dry pavement and rain. The trick is to apply the brakes just enough to keep your tires from skidding. Glad to hear you're ok.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeh, It was raining pretty hard and I TOTALLY forgot the curve that was coming up so just instinct I stomped on the brakes and jerked the wheel.Hyro'd off the road. I'll get pics asap to show you guys what happened.

I talked it over with my dad and the insurance should cover everything. I have state farm full coverage.

My mom bought the car brand new in 93 so no alterations had been done to the air bag sensors. I was going pretty fast, i'm surprised I didn't plow straight through the supporters and had the pole come down on me :(

Anyone who wants to know I was doing close to 45 (limit was 40, stupid on my part) hit the brakes and i'm pretty sure hit the supporters doing about 25-30 head-on.

Be careful guys. Stupid on my part to be goin fast in the rain on curvey roads. I'll try to get my friend to get pics of the crash site. I'll get pics of my car on monday.

Later, thanx for all the input.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The Air bags has to be hit at a certain point on the bumper to deploy. When I had my 97, I hit a deer going at 30mph and the bags didnt open up either.

·
Am I still a NOOB?
2,082 Posts
Sucks dude, at least you're okay. Any damage report yet? Totalled or not(I hope not)?

·
Straight Flight Attendant
493 Posts
KirKHmt said:
Anyone who wants to know I was doing close to 45 (limit was 40, stupid on my part)
Glad to hear that you are alright, but i need to make the point.
We all need to remember that the "basic speed law" is "drive no faster than conditions allow."
That is something i also forgot in the snow. Last spring, two days after i bought my alty, i slid into a curb. Did close to 1K worth of damage for a new rack and pinion, and lower control arm.
Good luck with the insurance.

·
t e x a s
504 Posts
Yeah I hit a deer going about 30 and the air bags didnt deploy either, this is a 98 also.
There is no need at that speed IMO as long as you wear your seatbelt.
It would just cost extra money to get them replaced.
When the deer ran out of nowhere right before I hit it I was thinking I hope the airbags dont go off and made sure my arms werent near the center of the wheel

·
Registered
75 Posts
I was sitting at a red light once that was on a hill and some girl who really didnt know how to drive a 5 speed rolled back into me and my airbags deployed, couldnt have been more than 2 mph. I had my arm across the wheel and when the bags popped it pushed my hand into my eye, I ended up with a black eye and a fractured wrist along with a hole in my steering wheel and dash. It sucked, but glad that your ok man.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts