The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to my local auto show...the Northeast International Auto Show. First let me rant about this. These "local" auto shows are total crap. I mean, the only thing they have going for them is the fact that they are branded by Motor Trend. Other than that, all it is is basically local dealers who bring their run-of-the mill models downtown to the convention center. Mind, you, the dealers bring the ugliest models down because they know that some 8-year-old is just going to mash the gears or key the paint. In fact, as I was walking out to my car thru the parking garage, I saw all the same exact cars but nicer and more loaded versions. Go figure!

So anyway... I sat in the Altima 3.5SE. It must have been the ugiest one the dealer had on the lot...IMO. It was gold, with tan cloth interior. No sidesills either. It looked horrendous...IMO. I sat inside, and I wasn't impressed with the interior, but it was acceptable. My brother-in-law, who does not read internet message boards, noticed right away how cheaply made the interior was. He commented on how the side pockets on the doors were made of some very very very cheap flexible plastic. That center console compartment, is covered by a flimsy door which feels like my 1-year-old could rip it off some day. The conrol knobs/radio were so-so, but not particularly well built. My brother-in-law said that the interior just didn'thave that "solid" feel of his Toyota Solara.

Well, I told him that the Altima I am getting will be White, with the Black leather Sport Package, which will give it leather interior, Bose stereo, and Auto Temp Control, and HIDs. Mine will also have Side Sills. I think these fetures will make the Auto Show version we saw look even crappier than it did.

I'll admit that the experience at the show did get me worrried a bit about the interior. but I'm hoping that the Leather Sport Package at least gives it a better feeling. Besides, I'm more interested in how the car drives... :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW, it didn't help that they had a new Sonoma Sunset 2004 Maxima 3.5SE parked right next to the Altima. The Maxima had black leather interior, and was loaded, with NAV and everything. Of course, it was locked. That is one badass looking vehicle.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I KNOW you will see a HUGE difference in the blonde interior vs charcoal. Basically, the blonde interior looks absolutely terrible. The plastic is VERY noticable in the lighter color. In my opinion, the charcoal interior actually looks good. I think the dark colors give it an up-to-date feel.

Before I bought my Silver Alty w/ charcoal leather, I test drove a black SE with blonde interior...it looked VERY cheap. But when I got in one with charcoal interior, it was totally different. You will be VERY hapy with the charcoal leather interior. If Nissan only offered the blonde I wouldn't have even thought about buying an Alty. But when I saw the charcoal and how differnet it looked...there was no doubt I was buying that car.

·
Registered
57 Posts
another thing...TINT THE WINDOWS WHEN YOU GET YOUR ALTY! It makes a WORLD of difference. When you sit in that car with the dark interior...you have the windows tinted and the dash is glowing bright orange...you'll love it. But if you sit in there with a cheap 80's looking tan interior...you'll feel like you're in a Datsun B2000.

·
She said "yes"!
355 Posts
You'll be able to exhale a sigh of relief when you see the car that you ordered. The black interior/leather combo definitely takes away the feeling of riding in a car that has an admittedly less than top quality interior.

·
Registered
200 Posts
no doubt, the blond interior sucks

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
15,280 Posts
The quality does not get better as you own the car...The best option is to get the leather from Leatherseats.com..They have some quality shiat.

As far as the interior plastics go..not much you can do..cheap is cheap..Of course a Wild Willy dead pedal will spruce up that interior and protect the carpet as well:D

You have to make sacrifices if you want to drive the fastest production fwd vehicle ever assembled:)

·
SHIFT_performance
779 Posts
I didn't like my Altima's interior at all before I had the leather installed. I love the custom leather I had installed, it looks classy and is nice and soft. :D I think it looks even better than the factory leather Nissan puts in.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Personally, I think the blonde leather interior is the most luxurious- looking and the cabin seems more cheerful than the black or frost....

·
I Am My Altima's Bitch
3,035 Posts
I gotta go with theguda and jenk, and tell you that the dark interior is far nicer looking than either the blonde, OR the frost. I have driven the frost and blonde, and neither are that terrible, but the charcoal looks WAY better than the others. Leather will definitely improve the interior as well. Adding some leather/pleather door panels adds a lot of looks to the doors, and the leather seats and center armrest cover will also be nice.

The interior may not be the greatest, but it has a bad wrap in the media, one I dont think it deserves. I was just reading the R&T comparo between the Alti, Accord, Camry, Passat, and 6. They of course praised everything to do with the accord and camry, and bashed on the Altima as usual. The one thing that really pushed me over the edge was when they praised the VW Passat for its interior. I'm sorry, but how exciting is that? I've seen smaller vents in a house!

·
TALL member
11,882 Posts
well, the passat interior is nice but not anywhere near as exciting as our altys.........I think the only really bad interior is the Frost or Blonde CLOTH!!! That crap is sickening! The leather is better but the Charcoal is still better than all the other interior colors

·
Registered
23 Posts
niceorange said:
I gotta go with theguda and jenk, and tell you that the dark interior is far nicer looking than either the blonde, OR the frost. I have driven the frost and blonde, and neither are that terrible, but the charcoal looks WAY better than the others. Leather will definitely improve the interior as well. Adding some leather/pleather door panels adds a lot of looks to the doors, and the leather seats and center armrest cover will also be nice.

The interior may not be the greatest, but it has a bad wrap in the media, one I dont think it deserves. I was just reading the R&T comparo between the Alti, Accord, Camry, Passat, and 6. They of course praised everything to do with the accord and camry, and bashed on the Altima as usual. The one thing that really pushed me over the edge was when they praised the VW Passat for its interior. I'm sorry, but how exciting is that? I've seen smaller vents in a house!

what year and month was this R n D mag?

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
Have you guys ever sat in a Passat? Sit in one and you'll know why. The quality of the materials and construction is very good. The seats are very firm and supportive, not like the cheap foam thats used in stuff toy animals thats used in the Altima. The dash top is made of a nice supple black rubber that does not reflect back at the driver off the windshield in sunlight while driving. The doors slam with an authoritative *thud*.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
15,280 Posts
flarearrow said:
Have you guys ever sat in a Passat? Sit in one and you'll know why. The quality of the materials and construction is very good. The seats are very firm and supportive, not like the cheap foam thats used in stuff toy animals thats used in the Altima. The dash top is made of a nice supple black rubber that does not reflect back at the driver off the windshield in sunlight while driving. The doors slam with an authoritative *thud*.
Yes..I test drove one last summer...Very nice materials...But I did not find the seats to comphy...They were hard and hurt my old weary ass

1 - 20 of 44 Posts