The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 2002 Maxima gets 218 hp and 230lb of torque (PEAK)
The Altima gets 200 hp and 211ib torque. (PEAK)
Heres the scarry part, the Maxima has much more under the curve. I bet the difference has to be in the variable valve timing, or different camshafts. The compression is the same.
If you look at their graph at 5000 rpm the max still makes increasing hp. The Altima on the other hand goes + hp - HP
like the computer is cutting back, almost looks like a rev limiter kicking in and out. If you look at the gear ratios of both cars, the first gear is the same. In second and third gear the Maxima has a higher numeric ratio. hense it should accelerate faster, but it does not. Whats going on here? Whats the diameter of the 225 50 17 on the max, that may effect the overall final gearing. They claim the weight of the cars is within a lb. I bet if you weight them the Maxima will weight more. The tranny and limited slip alone have to add at least 50 lbs. I just dont get it, on paper the Maxima should win in a race. Handling is very close, the altima is better on a skidpad and the Maxima in the slalom, mostly due to the wider tires. I bet Nissan has limited the Altima so not to compete with the Max, and so that Nismo can sell us the solution next fall for big bucks!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Hhmm....I thought awhile back someone got a list with a breakdown of every engine part in both the Alty and the Max and they all turned out to be identical.....? I think that was the reason that it was suspected that if there was a difference, it was in the intake, exhaust, ecu, or a combination of the three.

Kevin

·
Registered
2 Posts
to be honest I would like to see what R&T gets out of the 3.5 Maxima w/ 6 speed vs. altima 3.5. I don't exactly hold SCC in high regards for their objective testing.....

I bet they are pretty close. w/ the six speed i still think the maxima would be quicker....

Fro

·
Registered
271 Posts
Dallas said:
I bet Nissan has limited the Altima so not to compete with the Max, and so that Nismo can sell us the solution next fall for big bucks!
Yup! Last year for the Max 5th gen body style. Gotta sell them off... 2k3 Altima will be the one to get! Probably will have a 6spd and be offered with some sort of limited slip. And tuned more for power or detuned (current) to set up for Nismo to make even more money off "options".

Can't deny the smart business moves by Nissan lately.

·
Registered
594 Posts
The Maxima's tires are perhaps 1/2" shorter.

The Altima beat the Maxima to 30mph by 0.2 sec. I can only assume that the Altima's front suspension geometry is better at putting down power. The Maxima does gain 1/2 of that time back by the end of the 1/4 mile. But the Maxima needs four gears to get to the end of the 1/4 mile. I'd assume that the Maxima was close to pulling even towards the end, but that extra shift cost it.

Who really cares? Two really nice sleeper sedans that are both worthy of our admiration.

·
Registered
174 Posts
SCC can kiss my @ss, the hp figure is tranparent, every 6-spd max on the board has gotten like 205hp and 225ish torque, 5hp and 10tq more then the average altima. i also ran back to back 14.3'S IN MY 6-SPD, NO STUPID 15.0 SCC can GTH. venting done. i like both cars but the maxima is just Slighlty faster, ask bigtetto :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
SCC Editor said:
Steve,

You're officially invited to bring you stock '02 Maxima to SCC's next test day and show us the back to back 14.3-second quarter mile runs. Let us know when is good for you.

Josh Jacquot
SCC
oh, an invitation from an editor of the magazine that said a 142whp result was pretty low for a 175HP car. (Sentra Spec-V)
Mr SCC Editor, 18% loss is not good? Please let us know how much loss is good enough for you.

Nevermind the teasing tone of typing. Glad to see a SCC Editor on the board. From your personal email adress, we can tell you really are one. Congrats to you for getting such a nice job!

Regards

·
Registered
174 Posts
SCC Editor said:
Steve,

You're officially invited to bring you stock '02 Maxima to SCC's next test day and show us the back to back 14.3-second quarter mile runs. Let us know when is good for you.

Josh Jacquot
SCC
when and where, cus i'm ready. here's pics of my two runs, the timeslips and i also enclosed a video of my 3rd run which was still a 14.6, if you don't believe me, take this over to www.maxima.org in the forums or look on the front page of www.5thgenmaximas.com and btw my car is 6566 on the timeslips.

there were at least 30 maxima owners at the drag strip to vouch for me. anytime your ready to put my car on the front page and print a retraction is good for me.

http://www.frankencar.com/stevesfolder/steverun.avi
you can hear them reference to my earlier 14.3

http://www.frankencar.com/stevesfolder/run1.jpeg

http://www.frankencar.com/stevesfolder/run2.jpeg

the pics aren't the best quality but you can see the times. so are you gonna book my hotel for me, where are you located again :)

-steve, mr 14.3

·
Registered
174 Posts
SCC Editor said:
Steve,

Josh Jacquot
SCC
also here's a link to my stock dyno http://www.frankencar.com/product_i/stage2_intake/steve_dyno_before_lg.jpg 204hp and 225TQ

and after i installed my www.frankencar.com intake, that i designed, same day, same car, same machine, http://www.frankencar.com/product_i/stage2_intake/steve_dyno_after_lg.jpg 214hp and 230TQ

pretty good gains from an intake i'd say 10hp and 5tq :)

so you got slower times off a car that mysteriously has more hp, when you available for me to come. or could you at least put my site in your magazine and we can be friends. small article :)

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the great magazine!
You don't know how excited I was to see you run an article on the new Altima. And to test it against the Maxima, it cannot get any better! Have you seen all the discussions here on that topic? I have been buying copies for over 3 years and have owned bigger 4 door cars all along, so there are 4 door owners in your marketplace. Thanks for not overlooking that portion of your market. Forget the Spec V Sentra, the Altima is the real sleeper,let's hope there is good aftermarket support, as it's a great starting point to a great potential buildup.

SCC Editor said:
Steve,

Josh Jacquot
SCC

·
Altima Freak
842 Posts
Me thinks that SCC Editor will not take your offer. They must have some lame drivers. I got 14.7 @ 97 out of my 2k2 Maxima that I had been driving for only a few weeks. I hadn't driven a manual in over 10 years and I beat SCC on my very first outing. My 60 fts were terrible (2.6 on average) and I still beat their lame ETs. If I would have figured out how to launch it, I would have been in that 14.3 range.

SCC... the gas pedal is on the right side!

dmbmaxima88 said:

when and where, cus i'm ready. here's pics of my two runs, the timeslips and i also enclosed a video of my 3rd run which was still a 14.6, if you don't believe me, take this over to www.maxima.org in the forums or look on the front page of www.5thgenmaximas.com and btw my car is 6566 on the timeslips.

there were at least 30 maxima owners at the drag strip to vouch for me. anytime your ready to put my car on the front page and print a retraction is good for me.

http://www.frankencar.com/stevesfolder/steverun.avi
you can hear them reference to my earlier 14.3

http://www.frankencar.com/stevesfolder/run1.jpeg

http://www.frankencar.com/stevesfolder/run2.jpeg

the pics aren't the best quality but you can see the times. so are you gonna book my hotel for me, where are you located again :)

-steve, mr 14.3

·
Registered
163 Posts
dmbmaxima88 said:

also here's a link to my stock dyno http://www.frankencar.com/product_i/stage2_intake/steve_dyno_before_lg.jpg 204hp and 225TQ

and after i installed my www.frankencar.com intake, that i designed, same day, same car, same machine, http://www.frankencar.com/product_i/stage2_intake/steve_dyno_after_lg.jpg 214hp and 230TQ

pretty good gains from an intake i'd say 10hp and 5tq :)

so you got slower times off a car that mysteriously has more hp, when you available for me to come. or could you at least put my site in your magazine and we can be friends. small article :)
Preach on my Brother! ;)

I am yet another 2002 6spd max that only put down 208 FWHP and 223 FWTQ.

0-60 5.96 stock and 5.75 with just my intake(back to back :D ).

·
Registered
163 Posts
SCC Editor said:
Steve,

Josh Jacquot
SCC
Were are you guy's from? Maybe I will stop by too if I am invited :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Maxima ETs

Gentlemen,

Here's the deal: We test at 1,200 feet and don't correct for altitude, temperature or barometric pressure like many other magazines. Were your runs corrected?

There are numerous reasons for running raw numbers in the magazine, but it boils down to presenting consistent test data for the reader—which we go to great lengths to achieve. I can see a Maxima running a 14.6 or 14.7 ET in perfect conditions, but an uncorrected 14.3 seems highly unlikely.

Still, the offer remains. I'd love to see it. I can't offer accommodations, but we'll work on your schedule and we're in Southern California. What better excuse for a winter getaway? Then you can have bragging rights as the world's quickest stock Maxima driver. Yeeee haaaaaa!

Josh Jacquot
SCC

·
Registered
174 Posts
Re: Maxima ETs

SCC Editor said:
Gentlemen,

Here's the deal: We test at 1,200 feet and don't correct for altitude, temperature or barometric pressure like many other magazines. Were your runs corrected?

There are numerous reasons for running raw numbers in the magazine, but it boils down to presenting consistent test data for the reader—which we go to great lengths to achieve. I can see a Maxima running a 14.6 or 14.7 ET in perfect conditions, but an uncorrected 14.3 seems highly unlikely.

Still, the offer remains. I'd love to see it. I can't offer accommodations, but we'll work on your schedule and we're in Southern California. What better excuse for a winter getaway? Then you can have bragging rights as the world's quickest stock Maxima driver. Yeeee haaaaaa!

Josh Jacquot
SCC
those times were UNCORRECTED, right off the timeslips. stock, uncorrected, few hundred feet above sea level. i'm on the east coast so that's quite a drive for me. how about a article on my site to start :) my conditions for running were good, and i did get a 14.3, i can have 100 witnesses come over here and post but it would get out of hand, i know them too well.

·
Altima Freak
842 Posts

My 14.7 (with only 1000 miles on the car) was at 500 ft elevation, high humidity (track actually closed early due to rain), and was uncorrected. Corrected I think my ET would have been lower.

I appreciate your response. BTW, what kind of testing gear do you use? Motorweek got a 14.4 out of an Altima with a high-end accelerometer. One more thought... how do you launch the car? Do you slip the clutch any? Steve did on his runs. I did not, since my car was too new to try that .

http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt2105.shtml

SCC Editor said:
Gentlemen,

Josh Jacquot
SCC

·
Registered
26 Posts

SCC Editor said:
Gentlemen,

Josh Jacquot
SCC
What were the ambient conditions at the time of your test? Specifically, the atmospheric pressure, temperature and humidity?

1 - 20 of 156 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.