The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
slow poke
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was changing my fuel filter today trying to do as much as possible for my tuneup and this thing was a bitch. I never had such a hard time trying to get something off. I ripped a little hole in the tube going from the fuel line in to the fuel filter so I had to cut that one off and replace it. Did anyone else have any problems trying to get the filter on b/c this thing kicked the crap out of me. The Altys engine bay is tighter than a virgins poontang

·
588 Posts
well nextg time try twisting and pulling it, works for many people here, and coat ur new filter tube mounting with some oil, but its too late for that

·
slow poke
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What really sucks is that I was twisting and pulling and thats how I got a rip in the tube:(. Oh well. I'll handle it better the next time

·
Banned
117 Posts
Use WD40 to soften the rubber, U can also pull the side of the tube open, just a bit, and spray WD40 in between. That usually helps.

·
dismember
11,347 Posts
JLewisinSyr said:
WD-40 and rubber are bad...it will slowly eat away at it, weaking the rubber compound. Better to use a lithium spray.
breakfree clp works the best. ask asleepaltima :D

·
Registered
432 Posts
Daraghie Misha a.k.a. inoplanetyanin .....

inoplanetyanin said:
Use WD40 to soften the rubber, U can also pull the side of the tube open, just a bit, and spray WD40 in between. That usually helps.
You are in WAY over your head, and I'm afraid you don't know WTF you're talking about my friend:
1) WD-40 is based entirely on petroleum distillates-don't take my word for it, just read the can!
2) Petroleum distillates act as a solvent and they start eating rubber as soon as they are in contact with each other!!!!!!!!
But I am sure you already knew that :embarasse

In the future, if you are not 100% sure about something, it would be best to refrain yourself from dispensing advice, advice that while well intentioned, it would only harm your fellow Altima owners. I hope you'll take this as constructive criticism and not as a personal attack.
Horatio.

·
Formerly LordofSearchMod
18,041 Posts
LOL

my first time was a pain in the butt to do but the old twisting motion got it off.

the second time I had to replace it 6 months later because it was leaking. I just got fed up and decided to replace all the hoses. Took off the metal braket that protects the bottom fuel line and it was much easier..

·
Registered
432 Posts
Hey JLewisinSyr....

JLewisinSyr said:
WD-40 and rubber are bad...it will slowly eat away at it, weaking the rubber compound. Better to use a lithium spray.
Actually, if the lithium spray that you mention is based on lithium white grease, then it is just as bad for the rubber as WD-40!
Among the few things that is trully safe for rubber is something with silicone in it. Silicon is an innert material-it has a very stable molecule which does not seek other molecules to combine with-hence its stability. The rubber lubricant that I use in my automotive endeavours is Honda Silicone Spray. You can find it at any Honda auto/moto dealership and is specifically designed for auto/moto use that involves rubber-comes in a black can with large green letters on it. This is from the can:
1-anti-friction coating
2-lubricates plastic, rubber, vinyl
3-eliminates sticking and squeaking
4-PRESERVES & PROTECTS RUBBER
5-effective from -80 Fahrenheit to +600 Fahrenheit
Once a year I spray this Honda shit on all the CV joint boots(inner and outer) as well as the steering boots of the car. It works quite well-I changed the CV joint boots on my '93 Civic for the first time only this fall, meaning 9 years and 2 months since I bought it new, and all this time in the Texas heat!!!

·
slow poke
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well guys, I just got frustrated b/c this is the first self-tuneup I did and ever search I found stated that it was easy and blah blah blah. Its easy after you know what your up against. Now I know and I won't have to take an extra half hour working on my car.

BTW, thanks for the advice about using a spray to loosen it up. I didn't want to use anything just b/c I didn't want to get any impurities in the fuel line that harm my engine or anything like that.

·
502 Posts
don't worry man, i had trouble with mine too. but i stuck with it and pulled and it finally came off although i got a small cut on my hand on the way up!

a bit of the gasoline probably got in my system :D

·
slow poke
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ckohl23 said:
don't worry man, i had trouble with mine too. but i stuck with it and pulled and it finally came off although i got a small cut on my hand on the way up!

a bit of the gasoline probably got in my system :D
Yeah, I got a cut on my hand just as the fuel started to pour out of the filter. I bet if I took a blood test, it would be 87 octane

·
Banned
117 Posts
Horatio, u definetely trying to attack me personally. If it was just WD-40 issue, you would just say "it's bad for rubber". Which is by the way what Im researching for right now. You don't seem to correct other people when you disagree with them.
Secondly, what I originally said is that WD-40 will soften and lubricate rubber fuel line, hence will make it easy to take the fuel filter off. And that's it!
The contact there is for a few minutes only, no soaking that poor hose in WD40 for weeks... Everybody, incuding me used/uses WD40 for this purpose, without rubber being "eated righ away" how u r saying.
As far shops, all shops use different stuff, whichever is cheaper. The shop I worked in used either "Free All" or "White lube"...
Do u think someone who needs to change the filter will not use wd40 because it's so bad for rubber and will run to ur honda dealer and buy that big black can with green letters????

·
Banned
117 Posts
Listen to how odd this sounds... WD40 eats rubber...
I bet you can sink a piece of rubber in WD40 for the whole winter and will not do anything.
A lot of sources suggest to conservate rubber products with WD40.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Yes...but on the other hand, if you

inoplanetyanin said:
Listen to how odd this sounds... WD40 eats rubber...
I bet you can sink a piece of rubber in WD40 for the whole winter and will not do anything.
A lot of sources suggest to conservate rubber products with WD40.
will leave the piece of rubber in WD-40 over the SUMMER, I am sure you'll notice something :rolleyes: Why don't you go do that, and in 10 months report back to the board with your findings. And while the project asigned is in progress you could consider taking a break from posting here for a while :D
H.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts