The Nissan Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Knight Davion
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i got this nasty screw in my tire today. The tire hasn't lost any air so I was able to get home but once i tried to take out the screw a little, it started loosing a little air.

I went to goodyear and they said that they use patches and patches wont work in the area the screw is in and that plugs wont work either. Then he said he can get me the same tire for $250 and I said goodbye. Anyway, doesnt it look like a plug would work? Any advice? thanks

ps: sorry about the blurry pic. My digicam was being an a$$hole today.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
try getting a second opinion, i would think that a patch should work just fine. if it was on the sidewall thats a different story however. don't goto a tire store, try going to a straight up rim/tire repair shop.

·
*Really New Member*
1,095 Posts
yeah you should be able to get that patched up..

·
Registered
280 Posts
I just put a plug in a tire in that exact same area and it is still holding without issues. If you know how to do it right and the area with the plug contacts pavement when the car rolls then it's ok.

·
Knight Davion
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dubz said:
I just put a plug in a tire in that exact same area and it is still holding without issues. If you know how to do it right and the area with the plug contacts pavement when the car rolls then it's ok.
Actually its right between the treads so it never touches the pavement. Thanks for your help guys, ill just try a couple of other places.

·
Registered
280 Posts
If done properly the tag ends of the plug stick out past the tread channel and wear into a mushroom that helps seal up the channel. It just has to be installed at an angle coming from the bottom of the tire. Good luck with it, whatever you end up doing.

·
Fibre Customs
14,959 Posts
Just get them worm plugs....you dont even have to take off the wheel. They work really well used them many times, I have a worm plug in my front tire now...tires was brand new got a screw in it after a week:mad:

·
Registered
464 Posts
Sorry to burst your bubble but looking at the picture, it looks to me the screw is too close to the side wall to be repaired.
The shoulder of the tire is where all of the steel belts fold on them selves to form the begining of the the underlayment of the tread cap. Because of this the cords are much closer together and under much more stress. If a screw severs these cords as it goes thru the tire, it will weaken the tire and cause it to seperate and fail. (not good)
This is one of reasons why a tire shop will not repair a tire if the damage is too close to the side wall.
The other is on the shoulder you cannot get a good seal with either a patch or a plug. This part of the tire flexes too much and the repair will fail.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've plugged a tire that had a hole in that same location (if not a little further out :eek: ). Had no problems, but maybe I just got lucky. :p

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I agree with Blake. Its in a very touchy place. You may get away with it or not depending on how much flexing is going on at that spot. But GY's price of $250 also sounds very rip-off. If the tread depth was at least within 2/32's of new (typically 12/32) I might try a plug -and drive gently ! But if its less replace the tire. At tire rack or some other non-rip-off dealer.

·
Knight Davion
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well thanks for your thought guys. I went to STS tires and got it patched. However, like Blake and mahout said, it may not be a solid patch right there. I plan on getting new tires fairly soon or just a replacement for that one.

BTW my tire on tirerack is only $125 bux! What a mark up with GY.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts