The Nissan Club banner

SE-R Oil Pressure

44481 Views 86 Replies 28 Participants Last post by  Bongoandsean
Hello, i own a 2005 altima se-r 6 speed. I'm a bit concerned about my oil pressure....

Sometimes at idle (650-700) the oil light will come on. So today i hook up a oil pressure gauge end here is the result:

idle: 4psi
1000 rpm: 6 psi
2000 rpm: 15 psi
3000 rpm: 25 psi

should i be concerned? Also is 650-700 rpm ok at idle?

Thanks!
41 - 60 of 87 Posts
It was around 10 psi or less at idle! Supposed to be around 30 psi as per Nissan.
dang, mine still idles at 0, but when i drive its around 30-60
Try replacing the oil pressure sending unit, it's right behind the oil pan above the plug! Rule that out first. Pay close attention if you have any knocking sounds when starting after about 1/2 hour sitting.
Try replacing the oil pressure sending unit, it's right behind the oil pan above the plug! Rule that out first. Pay close attention if you have any knocking sounds when starting after about 1/2 hour sitting.
im definitely going to replace it come tax return, havent heard any knocking, just the timing chain and pre cats deteriorating
Hope you don't have to change the cat against the firewall, it's a real [email protected]#$. The intake got to come off first! Pay close attention to the oil and filter you use! Nissan filter and Mobil1 with Lucas oil stabilizer.
i used Crown Purple or whatever it's called and Lucas, im getting the racingline high flows, so im replacing both of them
Send me the link or the contact info for where you're getting them from!
Deffinately gonna get me a set of them Pre-Cats! Thanks for the info.:shift:
So.. which is accurate here? Seeing low pressure at idle like AllData says? Or should we be seeing 30psi at idle? My oil pressure gauge hovers under the first hash mark at warm idle, but shows about 55-60 psi at cruise and will go up if I hit the gas. I would say mine is right at 5-10 psi at warm idle. All normal otherwise. For the love of god please say that's normal.
There is a lot of variables to be considered when it comes to oil pressure. Type, viscosity, frequency of oil changes, type of filter. The best way is to just let the car idle up to temp and see what you have. It should be around 25-35psi normal and 15-25psi low. Anything less than that it should be cause for checking it out. It might just be a oil pressure sending unit.
There is a lot of variables to be considered when it comes to oil pressure. Type, viscosity, frequency of oil changes, type of filter. The best way is to just let the car idle up to temp and see what you have. It should be around 25-35psi normal and 15-25psi low. Anything less than that it should be cause for checking it out. It might just be a oil pressure sending unit.
According to the factory service manual, oil pressure at idle (~725RPM) is supposed to be 5PSI. The only reason why it would be 20-30PSI at idle is if:
1.) The oil is not up to temperature
2.) The wrong grade/viscosity of oil is being used
3.) There’s a problem with the lubrication system i.e. there are bypass/pressure relief balls/springs inside the oil pump and those can cause problems

If you are using the grade of oil that Nissan recommends the motor should meet their specs. Mine does (did), my dash gauge would read “0” but my real on-the-engine oil pressure gauge reading would be about 6PSI at idle.

Never rely on the oil pressure gauge on your dash (SE-R) as that’s really only good for a reference, not a accurate measurement.
Reactions: 1
Yeah, after some spirited driving and the car is really warm, it'll hover right in between the 0 and the first hash mark. Other than that though, it reads right where I would expect it. Funny that the target idle pressure is only 5 PSI. That's crazy low from what I'm used to. But, that makes me feel so much better. Thanks!!
Just got mine back from dealer for same problem

I took my '06 SER with 42K miles in about 3 weeks ago for the same problem. This was the second time I brought it in. The first time the dealer replaced the pressure indicator switch. The gauge didn't get any better, and three months later (now a few weeks ago) I brought it in after the oil pressure light began coming on at idle when warm. I was told they were going to replace the engine, but after working with the warranty company they decided it was the oil pan seals and repairable. It was in for about 2 weeks and they said after an inspection there's no damage to the engine. I'm not so sure because in reality I've been running on the really low pressure (4psi @ idle when warm) for months - clearly they didn't do their due dilligence the first time. Fortunately I am still under an extended warranty so it didn't cost me a penny, and it does seem to be running pretty well. I'm also indicating around 15-20psi at idle (per the center stack guage).
See less See more
Hmmm.. Do you know exactly what they replaced? I'm not sure what "seals" in the oil pan could have to do with oil pressure.
So looking at the FSM for the '06 Altima, Nissan says you should be seeing 14psi at idle..

Swamper, where did you find the 5psi figure?

FWIW, per the "gauge" in the dash, I'm seeing about 55-60 PSI at 2,000 RPM so all of the other figures seem healthy.
See less See more
Reactions: 1
All this has to do with internal bearing clearances too. There is also a mileage consideration when checking oil pressure. check with a nissan mechanic and he may point you in the right direction. :shift:
My oil pressure switch failed the other day....oil light came on and gauge would sit at 0 and at times 120 haha I thought I was going to blow the oil pan right off. Luckly it was only the switch...and I got it installed for free at Nissan....since I work there....FTW! haha

Good Luck.
@ JJay083, what kind of pressure are you getting now that you had the switch replaced?
Mine sits at 15-17psi after a LONG drive(fully warmed up), it increased a bit after the +2* of timing advance.
41 - 60 of 87 Posts