The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my dark garage, the most obvious thing I see is a blinking red light on the dash of my new altima.

Now I've read the manual, and as far as I can tell it is the security indicator light for the Nissan immobilizer system. And it blinks the same when the car is unlocked as it does when the car is locked. I guess it's nice to know the altima has some strategy to sort of protect the car, but I think there should be a different indication when the car is unlocked. I suggest "Light doesn't blink at all when the doors are unlocked".

Until then, does anyone know an easy way to tell the light to stop blinking? With my car parked and locked inside my garage I'm not too afraid of someone tampering with it. I don't lock it, and would like to think the car is actually "off". But that darned light keeps suggesting to me that it's "on", and watching me :eek: !

OpalBlue

·
Lord of the Thighs
1,227 Posts
If the flashing light were to turn off when you had the doors unlocked, It would be an open invitation to whoever passed it to open your door...

Wouldn't that make it easier for a would-be car thief to drive away in your new Alti?

I know everyone is going to respond with the whole "key code" thing, but nothing is 100% secure. If a thief wants it, they will find a way to take it.

Just an observation.......:)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Its called a tow truck. The new cars with security keys can not be started without a security key that has been programed in the computer.

·
1,333 Posts
You can buy an after market LED and talk to a local alarm shop they should be able to help you.

·
Frozen Member
411 Posts
OpalBlue said:
In my dark garage, the most obvious thing I see is a blinking red light on the dash of my new altima.

Now I've read the manual, and as far as I can tell it is the security indicator light for the Nissan immobilizer system. And it blinks the same when the car is unlocked as it does when the car is locked. I guess it's nice to know the altima has some strategy to sort of protect the car, but I think there should be a different indication when the car is unlocked. I suggest "Light doesn't blink at all when the doors are unlocked".

Until then, does anyone know an easy way to tell the light to stop blinking? With my car parked and locked inside my garage I'm not too afraid of someone tampering with it. I don't lock it, and would like to think the car is actually "off". But that darned light keeps suggesting to me that it's "on", and watching me :eek: !

OpalBlue
i think that it's good that it blinks even when the car is unlocked - that way if you forget to lock it, it still looks locked (every bit counts).

·
Man with Car
228 Posts
unleaded said:
i think that it's good that it blinks even when the car is unlocked - that way if you forget to lock it, it still looks locked (every bit counts).
Bingo. That's the thing: The little light is a deterrent. It's not there to let the owner of the car know the system is working. It's there to let would-be thieves and vandals know the vehicle has a security system, and that perhaps the car two feet to the left without the tiny blinking light might be an easier target.

Jarrod K. Wright
'02 3.5SE 5-speed
'98 SE 5-speed

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's there to let would-be thieves and vandals know the vehicle has a security system, and that perhaps the car two feet to the left without the tiny blinking light might be an easier target.
I know of it's intention, but the car is only parked outside in the sun during the day. During the day the weak light isn't noticable IMO. I only notice it when the car is parked safely in my garage. And anyone foolish enough to break into my garage for any reason will end up flash frozen then sawn into lumber.

If the intention is to convince a thief to pick another car, I'd rather not do that either. I'd rather have a real security system that would:

1) snap a picture of the thief.
2) let him/her in the car.
3) lock him/her in the car.
4) Anesthetize the thief.
5) In an electronic voice call the police station and tell them to expect delivery of a car thief.
6) Drive him/her to the police station.
7) eject the thief into the waiting arms of the police, along with a picture of the thief "in-the-act" including the time and GPS location.
8) automatically return to the place I parked it.

So, anyone know where (and for how much) I can find such a security system?

OpalBlue ;)

·
Frozen Member
411 Posts
no way - i wouldn't want some schiznit locked in my car!!

how about a spary setup that would spray mace when the alarm is tripped? or set up fish hooks behind the stereo so if someone tries to steal it, they are caught (i know - punny guy).

i can't remember the name of it, but some company made a club that had voltage flowing through it. i don't think that it was very good, but it's intimidating (maybe).

i think the best theft prevention, albeit pain in the ass, is a simple inline fuel cutoff switch that has a lock on it. if it is hidden, it wouldn't deter anyone, but no one could steal it unless they have a lot of time to figure it out. it would be good if you are parking your ride for a long time, and you don't mind the inconvenience.

i dunno - just my .02 (Canadian Pesos).

·
Future Z Driver
215 Posts
Anyone remember the ad from Robocop for the "Viper Security System"? Showed this thief breaking into a car, and when he tries to start it, the seat is electrified and cooks the thief. The owner comes back to his car, pushes the charred thief out of his car, and drives off. Maybe someone could rig up a system like that for our Altimas... :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm kinda partial to my Taurus (PT-145) as a theft deterrent:D

.45ACP=230 grs of diplomacy hehehehe

·
Registered
29 Posts
security light

I noticed that the alarm wont arm itself when the door is not locked.tried it several and its the same,when i locked it from the keyfob and try to open the door manually from the inside (locked the car with windows open), the alarm works. is this same for everybody?

·
Registered
12 Posts
No but I mean for the 2.5S, do you need to have a package to have the LED or is it standard for the 2.5S?

·
Registered
13 Posts
gagangsta

I think you need convenience package to get security system

·
Registered
45 Posts
2.5S security

My 2.5S has a security feature. they all do don't they? I don't have the "old lady package" (conv. pack) but I have that rear view mirror with the compass and temp readout.

·
Registered
58 Posts
OK..so what does it do anyway?

I have the alarm too but have not figured out what exactly it does. I hit all over the car to see if it would go off but nothing. Anyone know?

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,758 Posts
ROCKET

You need to bust a window, Creature will lend you a mallot:p

1 - 20 of 28 Posts