The Nissan Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been faithfully servicing my 2013 Altima 3.5 SL every 3 months at Nissan dealerships since I've owned it.

It is finally out of the 3 year warranty period.

1) Can I service the car every 6 months instead of every 3 months?

2) If I wanted to take it to a local body shop instead, would that be OK? Anyone have any issues with this approach before?

The Nissan dealership near me is quite far and has subpar service, I'm starting to get tired of the trip every 3 months. Any recommendations? Thanks!

·
Registered
364 Posts
1. Do you fit into Schedule 1 (more severe) service, or Schedule 2 (less severe)? Take a look at your Service & Maintenance Guide and decide how you want to proceed. Generally speaking, 6 months is fine. Personally, I use full synthetic and go 10k miles between oil changes, but that happens every 3 months or so.

2. There's no reason not to use a private, local mechanic rather than dealer service. Other than software updates, there's little a good mechanic can't handle for you.

Don't rule out DIY if you're at all comfortable working on cars. I've changed the spark plugs and the brakes/rotors in the last month or so, and both were easy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
depends more on the miles you drive then time for services first off.

conventional oil you can go 4-5k miles nowadays
synthetic you can push up to 10k but i wouldn't personally (cheap insurance compared to engine issues later)

dealer or reputable shop is fine either way as long as your comfortable with them.

my dealer is close and cheap on the oil changes otherwise id just do it myself but for about $5.00 more and i stay clean they can do it lol

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
I have been going to my dealership since day 1. But it's only been minor maintenance. Oil and filter change and tire rotations.

I go every 5000 miles, and on average it's $20-35.
$20 oil change only, $35 including tire rotation.
5-30 Castrol synthetic blend.

I'm not sure why you go every 3 months, unless you drive 5000+ miles every 3 months.
Looking at my service history I go about every 5-6 months.

·
Registered
119 Posts
i have been doing my own maintenance since day 1. only taken it to the dealer for airbag issue and hood latch recall. 42k miles on the car.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the helpful advice

Since my car has fallen out of the warranty period, will definitely drop down to every 6 months and find a closer local shop

Probably a bad idea to try to stretch this out to every 12 months? I was reading on Edmunds that switching to synthetic oil and using a high mileage filter might allow me to go 15000 miles before needing a service appointment?

I drive roughly 1000 miles/month. Going in for maintenance every 6 months is a lot better than the every 3 I was doing, but once a year would be awesome (as is the case with my wife's car, BMW X5)

·
Registered
346 Posts
What about cvt flush anyone gotten don't outside of the dealer I asked last time I was in for warranty work how much they charge I think it was like $280 to do a flush. Considering the trannies have had issue not to say all do but I think something like a flush would have to be dealer unless you have your own machine to do it. There's a post today guy had car 3 yrs no issues the car stalled out few times took it to the dealer and they wouldn't open up the tranny to avoid voiding the warranty but the code was for transmission issue and he 66k Trans flush recommend at 30k.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
364 Posts
Trans flush recommend at 30k.
No it's not. The 2013 service schedule calls for the CVT fluid to be INSPECTED regularly (15-30k miles), and never calls for it to be replaced unless you tow or drive on rough or muddy roads, in which case page 13 of the schedule requires that it be replaced at 60k miles.

It's only replaced under the "optional premium upgrade" service schedule.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts