The Nissan Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2008 3.5 has always had 93 octane gas. A couple of weeks ago, I had it painted due to a fender bender and paint fade. My rental junker I had for a week used regular gas.

When I got my car from the shop, I stopped by my favorite station and filled her up. It was down to 1/8th tank. It was about full when I realized I had hit the 87 octane button by mistake. So, I decided to just run it to half a tank and fill up with 93 and keep doing that unit it was back to normal.

About 100 miles into this, the yellow "Service Engine Soon" light came on. I filled up with 93 a couple more times but the light will not reset.

Thoughts? Still runs like a bat-outta-h*ll and not missing, chugging or anything else.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I don t think it s related to the gas put in the car , but can be wrong .

I would get the codes in order to know what s happening in nhere .

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

Before the codes and shop, I let it go down to 1/2 tank again and filled it up with non-corn oil, pure gas, 106 octane. About 8.5 gallons fit in and it was really expensive. The light went out in about 30 miles. Will use non-corn gas for a few more tanks (although it will be 93) and will NEVER forget to use 93 from now on.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Been running 91 for the last 14 years in 3 VQs and never seen an engine light once.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I may have just gotten a bad mix. I have heard discussions with people in the retail gas business that the ratio of corn oil to petroleum can vary from 5% to 18% because the 10% is not really enforced.

If I am running a long distance on interstate, I have been known to sneak in a tank of 89 if it were cheap enough. Once I filled it with 87 right after I bought it and it felt someone had unplugged half of my spark plug wires for the first couple of miles. I had a 2001 C280 Benz that was the same way. A real mess with lower octane.

Nothing personal against corn based oil/gas, because it has it's uses and vehicles. I just do not think my car should be the test bed for it.

Like I said, I mixed in the 8-ish gallons of 106 octane, 100% petroleum, and it went away. Hopefully forever because I do not like filling up half a tank for $40!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts