The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Saturday, I replaced my stock filter with a high flow air intake filter. I removed the "box that holds the stock filter". I left the sensors plugged in. Turned on car and it was working fine all night Saturday. Car was not used on Sunday. Early Monday morning, the "service engine light" turned on at the first start-up of the day and the bitch will not turn off (after several restarts).
I read the FAQ on how to reset the ECU and that didn't work. In fact, I'm not sure the document is well written or explained. On the first alty generation, there is a screw underneith the gas pedal, but its only a cap that protects the gas pedal from being punched. It is not the ECU control unit.

Before I take my nissan to the shop (out of warranty) and have them charge me $200 to tell me its a sensor and lie to me, I'd rather listen to the suggestions/comments that any of you have to post. I can assure you that there isn't any problems with my engine and its running much better with the intake then it did without it. I also checked the gas cap and its tighly installed.

Any help on why the light came on and how to turn it off will be appreciated. I don't want to "disable" the light permantely as I'd like the warning should I ever have a "real" problem with my engine.

Please advise and thank you!

Regards,
Gabriel
 

·
Slow & Low
Joined
·
142 Posts
did you reattach the temp sensor from the airbox too the new intake. If you didn't that will explain exactly why the check engine light is on. Stillen intakes have hole at the top of the filter to attach the sensor, If your's is a universal you will have to drill a spot to place the sensor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Message to Pacecar and poisonfist

Hello again --

I have followed poisonfist instructions on resetting the ECU. The instructions were clear and concise and should be posted on the FAQ page. The pictures really helped!

Despite the fact of resetting the ECU, I still have the light on. The light did turn off (obviously) after resetting the ECU, but when I pushed on the brake to change gears, the light came on again. I didn't have time to change gears when the light came back on. I think this is a very simple problem that can be fixed without going to the shop. I have included pictures of the intake as well as where it's plugged in. If you see anything wrong, please reply back in detail of what I should try. Any other suggestions will be appreciated before the car is taken to the shop.

Here are the pictures! Thank you
Regards,
Gabriel
 

·
RS-R = Authentic JDM
Joined
·
219 Posts
when I put my air intake on my engine light stayed on for a few dayz. then it when off so It may just be getting used to it. (no joke)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Message to: CryingFreeman

Hello CryingFreeman;

After resetting the ECU, I drove my car for a few miles, re-started it several times and drove back home. The car was off for a few hours. When I got back in my car (several hours later) to go to work, the light did not come on. The light has been off for several hours and I have restarted about 5 times.

So, with all that being said....I think the problem is resolved. I'll keep everyone posted should the problem resume.

CryingFreeman, as for the picture you provided....it looks as if you got a sensor plugged into the filter itself. Did you custom make that, or did that come pre-made with the filter?

Please advise.

Thanks,
Regards,
Gabriel
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
6,859 Posts
97nissanaltima said:
On Saturday, I replaced my stock filter with a high flow air intake filter. I removed the "box that holds the stock filter". I left the sensors plugged in. Turned on car and it was working fine all night Saturday. Car was not used on Sunday. Early Monday morning, the "service engine light" turned on at the first start-up of the day and the bitch will not turn off (after several restarts).
I read the FAQ on how to reset the ECU and that didn't work. In fact, I'm not sure the document is well written or explained. On the first alty generation, there is a screw underneith the gas pedal, but its only a cap that protects the gas pedal from being punched. It is not the ECU control unit.

Before I take my nissan to the shop (out of warranty) and have them charge me $200 to tell me its a sensor and lie to me, I'd rather listen to the suggestions/comments that any of you have to post. I can assure you that there isn't any problems with my engine and its running much better with the intake then it did without it. I also checked the gas cap and its tighly installed.

Any help on why the light came on and how to turn it off will be appreciated. I don't want to "disable" the light permantely as I'd like the warning should I ever have a "real" problem with my engine.

Please advise and thank you!

Regards,
Gabriel
i had no problems on resetting the ecu with the instructions in the FAQ. They are pretty straight forward.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Message to CryingFreeman

Ohhhh no. I was driving my car normally and my light came on again. I think it has to do with that damn sensor.

CryingFreeman, I have a 1997 nissan. Looks like you have the sensor installed right into the filter. What kinf of filter do you have?

What should I do in my case? One of the sensors is on the piping. See image number 2. Should I leave it there? One of you's mentioned to put that sensor inside the filter? How do I go about doing that?

Please advise!

Thanks!

Regards,
Gabriel
 

·
Nissan-Suzuki-Infiniti
Joined
·
324 Posts
Re: Message to CryingFreeman

97nissanaltima said:
Ohhhh no. I was driving my car normally and my light came on again. I think it has to do with that damn sensor.

CryingFreeman, I have a 1997 nissan. Looks like you have the sensor installed right into the filter. What kinf of filter do you have?

What should I do in my case? One of the sensors is on the piping. See image number 2. Should I leave it there? One of you's mentioned to put that sensor inside the filter? How do I go about doing that?

Please advise!

Thanks!

Regards,
Gabriel
The 1996 Alty's have this kind of air temp sensor (in my pic). It was originally connected to the top cover of the air filter box. I needed to drill three holes at the base of the filter to insert the filter in. I also used the original screws to secure it.

I always thought the 1997 Altys also have this same air temp sensor. I think the sensor is activate by air pressure being sucked up by the intake into the engine. When you turn on your engine, your sensor is not picking up pressure. This can be why the Check Engine light turns on.

You can try to get another cone filter that has a metal plate at the end so you can drill a hole to insert the sensor. You'll need to secure the sensor. I've seen pics of members here with that setup.

You can also attach a short tube between the intake adapter and filter. Drill a hole in the tube to insert the filter. You'll need to secure the sensor. I've also seen pics of members here with that setup.

There are different types styles of cone filters in the after market. Mine is a Tenzo filter.

Hopefully there will be other members here who can also offer you suggestions.

Good Luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
check engine light on

i have a 98 altima i just had a warm air intake built for my car and my light stays on now also i will have pics of my intake on here soon i have found some one that will build a warm air intake for nissans so u can do away with all the black tubing mine is all polished stainless steel
 

·
Nipponese
Joined
·
4,000 Posts
Re: Re: Message to CryingFreeman

CryingFreeman said:
The 1996 Alty's have this kind of air temp sensor (in my pic). It was originally connected to the top cover of the air filter box. I needed to drill three holes at the base of the filter to insert the filter in. I also used the original screws to secure it.

I always thought the 1997 Altys also have this same air temp sensor. I think the sensor is activate by air pressure being sucked up by the intake into the engine. When you turn on your engine, your sensor is not picking up pressure. This can be why the Check Engine light turns on.

You can try to get another cone filter that has a metal plate at the end so you can drill a hole to insert the sensor. You'll need to secure the sensor. I've seen pics of members here with that setup.

You can also attach a short tube between the intake adapter and filter. Drill a hole in the tube to insert the filter. You'll need to secure the sensor. I've also seen pics of members here with that setup.

There are different types styles of cone filters in the after market. Mine is a Tenzo filter.

Hopefully there will be other members here who can also offer you suggestions.

Good Luck!
That is exactly what the MAF does and not what the temp sensor is doing. The temp sensor varies its resistance depending on the temperature it's reading. There is absolutely no drilling necessary!!! Just let the temp sensor dangle within the air filter and you should be fine.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top