The Nissan Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
walk without rythm
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just thought I'd share some info that I just learned. It may have already been stated a while ago but a little refresher can't hurt.

After speaking to a Nissan service shop I learned the following:

If you take a sensor off (ie. temp sending unit) and start the car, it will cause your service engine soon light to come on (Duhhhh).
The important thing to know however is that this light is NOT turned off by unplugging the battery for 24 hrs or reseting the ECU manually(check FAQ).
It will automatically shut off after approx 30 engine restarts which allows the computer to recycle its sensor information.

I think this might help those guys who have had the light turn on after adding mods.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
In a 2001 the light will go off after three trips, but the fault information will not be cleared until after 40 trips with no repeat of the fault.

·
Nissan God
5,942 Posts
man, the most common reason why they come on is not screwing the gas cap on all the way. mine came on like a week ago and went off yesterday after i filled up

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Also, there are certain criteria that Nissan has of what a “trip” is. Driving around the block wouldn’t count.

·
Registered
11,480 Posts
themdukes said:
If you take a sensor off (ie. temp sending unit) and start the car, it will cause your service engine soon light to come on (Duhhhh).

What do you mean take it off? Physically removing it from the car? I have a WAI and right now the air temp sensor isn't connected at all to the intake. I left it in the stock tubing. No check engine light here..

·
walk without rythm
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My temp guage needle was bouncing around so I thought that I had a loose connection. I took the sending unit off to look at and started my engine with it disconnected. Later I reconnected it and the light is still on.

·
Registered
11,480 Posts
themdukes said:
My temp guage needle was bouncing around so I thought that I had a loose connection. I took the sending unit off to look at and started my engine with it disconnected. Later I reconnected it and the light is still on.

Check this thread: http://www.altimas.net/forum/showthread.php?&threadid=16943

ZKrazy said:
yea..same shit with nismoalty's car. my car did that for a while too. just do what i told you..the temp gauge is mechanical so if the outer rubber hose tears and exposes the wire..the readings will get all messed up. if you guys dont know the thermostat is..i'll tell ya. from the radiator..the top hose connects to the motor. there is a little sensor attached to it. check the cord the sensor is connected to for any place where the wire may be exposed. get some silicone hosing, rubber hosing..anything small in diamter to put over it. it should be fixed.

·
walk without rythm
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Damn.
I had no idea so many people had the same problem. Currently mine is working properly again after I reconnected it.

Thanks for thread.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts