The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
VTEC wont save you....
6,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came back from the store and was riding home in the rain,I upshifted to 2nd merging with traffic and noticed my SES light came on.This is my first experience dealing with the CEL or SES lights.No engine perfomance problems,no noises,even ran her hard from the last stoplight on the way home.I dont detect anything wrong.

Whats the difference between the two lights i.e. CEL and SES?
Whats the first thing I should do before I hit the dealer,beside bend over:p:)

Basically I need some help gentleman.Car runs fine for now.
1999 5 spd,103K,no prior issues.Plugs,cap,rotor all changed out about 90K.

·
VTEC wont save you....
6,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Scratch that..too dark and damp and I have no flashlight.Looks like it will have to wait until the morning.

EDIT-can anyone tell me the difference between the two lights?

·
Resident NICO Mod
5,972 Posts
there is no difference.

SES= service engine soon
CEL= Check Engine Light
MIL= Malfunction indicator lamp

All mean the same thing and I have no idea why they flip flop em like that.

·
VTEC wont save you....
6,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Went to Autozone and the code that popped up read "Catalytic convertor threshold ~Bank One"(I think the code # was 0420 or something liek that).Me and the autozone tech said at the same time..02 sensor.The 1st one to be exact.It $65 for the new sensor.

Unfortunately teh killah is broke till next Friday,so it will have to wait.I woll probably see bad gas mileage but oh well.

Should I get the OEM sensor from the dealer or just get the autozone one?Anything esle i shoudl change out while doing the 1st one.Maybe change both?

·
Registered
28,959 Posts
HondaKillah said:
Went to Autozone and the code that popped up read "Catalytic convertor threshold ~Bank One"(I think the code # was 0420 or something liek that).Me and the autozone tech said at the same time..02 sensor.The 1st one to be exact.It $65 for the new sensor.

Unfortunately teh killah is broke till next Friday,so it will have to wait.I woll probably see bad gas mileage but oh well.

Should I get the OEM sensor from the dealer or just get the autozone one?Anything esle i shoudl change out while doing the 1st one.Maybe change both?
Damn the AutoZone's here stop doing that... gr.

·
VTEC wont save you....
6,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am glad they still do it...i didnt feel like doing it myself due to the fact its kinda chilly and damp outside,my wifes Civic is hogging the garage at this time.:p:p;):)

·
VTEC wont save you....
6,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am pretty sure they diagnosed it correctly.

ONce I get the new sensor,he asked me to come back through so they can clear out the stored code.I was just happy that was the only code I had stored in there.:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I apologize that this post is too old to be brought up again, but I was wondering if Hondakillah has any updates on whether replacing the O2 sensor has fixed the problem with code 0420 "check engine light". I am having the same exact problem described in his posts.

P.S I tried private messaging him but his inbox is full

Thanks for all the help.

·
c'old man winter
1,091 Posts
geesh , try to clean the both of your oxygen sensors and poping them back in, and if problem returns in like a month, then replace the correct one or both that is/are failing.
-Pass

on some cars, there is an indication to have the car's oil changed. not on first gen altimas, that's for sure.

·
Incognito
6,134 Posts
cleaning your O2 sensors will destroy them... why not do it properly, get a volt meter and find out whch one isnt carrying the proper voltage? there's a little oil lamp light on the 1st gens, it looks like a genie lamp and is bright yellow, this is the oil warning light, meaning your car is far below how much oil should be in the car. no car will say: the oil is bad.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts