The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, there was a suggestion in the FAQ to have a list of Service Intervals. Here is one I would always follow.

-Oil (filter) change every 3000 miles under severe conditions - 4500 miles if driven easy. (No trailer hauling, arizona heat, no stop and go driving all the time or5 passengers every day etc).
Most oils are good these days - I prefer Castrol. 10w30. Most oil filters are great - I prefer the one from Nissan for $5, then STP - try to avoid Fram.

- Air filter - needs to be expected to determine condition - most times it lasts around 20, 25K miles. Unless u use ur vehicle in a dusty area.

-Fuel filter - every 20000 miles. Very easy to change - located on the firewal, below the master brake cylinder a little towards the center of the compartment. Undo two clamps that hold the rubber lines and remove the filter. New part costs ~ $10. Very Important!

- Tire pressure is recommended at 29 psi. I keep mine at 35 - as 44 is a maximum, while 35 is a nice compromise between gas milage and tire wear. (Talking about stock 205/60/R15 tires)

-Manual transaxle oil change- every 25000 miles is driven easy - every 20000 if car is often loaded and is used in the city or in the mountains.

-Coolant(anti-freeze) change - every 15000 miles. Manual recommends approximately 25000 but it's crucial to keeping fluid fresh, saves water pump seals, avoides laying deposits on the walls of radiator, heater core, block. Procedure of change is very easy. To refil, it takes ~9 quarts of 50/50 mix anti-freeze/water. I recommend using Preston or Texaco brand.

-Oxygen (O2) sensor - the one that is in the exaust manifold on the front of the engine - every ~ 60000 miles. (or if required)Helps to improve fuel economy, performance, reduce emissions. AutoZone price for Bosch sensor with universal adapter is $17.99

-Acessories belts (powersteering,ac compressor, alternator, water pump) aprox every 20000miles. Two belts - price - under $10 each at AutoZone.

-Spark Plugs. -Manual recommends replacing every 25000 miles. Which is a great distance - great recommendation. Preffered plugs - original - NGK at ~ $1.50 at Advanced AutoParts store. (common in the South). *don't know dealers price*. Other brand could be used is Denso. The rest is use at ur own risk - not specifically recommended by manufacturer, which says only - (or similar).

-Spark Plug Wires - I like to replace them every 40000 miles. Most brands are allright. Preffered NGK - original equpment.

-Distributor cap and rotor. To ensure good performance, both should be replaced not more than every 25000 miles. AutoZone price - $10 cap and $6 rotor.

Note: All owners of front wheel drive cars of several years know about rubber CV (constant velocity axle) boot failures. This occurs especially sooner if vehicle is left with the wheel turned, which causes the boot to deformate. Therefore it decelopes little cracks which later grow. CV boots usually need attention after 100000 miles or about 6 years of service. Spraying rubber with WD40 helps to keep it soft and prolong its life.

·
588 Posts
aftermarket and genuine parts cost the same, and after looking at geunie parts, they are much better quality than a fram or purolator, unles su want to use abouve genuine like a k&n or mobil1

·
Banned
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was considering the price. Original parts are better, no doubt. Every little peace has a lot of specs we have no idea about, which designer kept in mind!
But I can gurantee, AutoZone parts are good enough to serve their purpose while you have your car.

About fram, I heard of cases when they lock up and don't enough oil circulate. My instructor in AutoMechanics didn't recommend them.

·
Pacman
341 Posts
If you get most of these parts at AutoZone, expect different prices depending on where you live.

·
Banned
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I agree with you. Prices vary.
But you can always look ahead by going to autozone.com

For instance, plug wires in Alabama's autozone comeup at 19.00, and here in LA the price is $32 something. But most of other parts I looked - very the same.

·
Import Tech.
4,670 Posts
Dude ...some of those are WAY off !! Belts every 20K ..??

Ok heres what it should look like !! What I would suggest ... We do 15K services , Tune up , check brakes , Coolant , brake flush , check over ., every 30,000 we add trans oil ., 60,000 adds Fuel filter and belts .....

Plugs = coppers 15,000 ... Platinum 60,000
Cap and Rotor= 15,000
Fuel Filter = 60,000 , 30,000 for best results
Air filter = 15,000-20,000
Coolant = Good 15,000- No more than 30,000
Oil= 3,000-4,000
Manual and Auto trans= Good 15,000- No more than 30,000
Belts = 60,000
Brake fluid flush = 15,000 !!

·
Stringz of Death
2,481 Posts
You know, i have saturday after 2 all to myself...im almost at 60K...and its time for an oil change...time to do a tune up for me!
im glad i found this thread...now i know what i really need to check/change!
i know i need spark plugs (dont know if they were ever changed before!)
probably wires too...
i know i need to do a Tranny Fluid change (and the dealership here said that its not recommended...sorry! im going to do it anyway!)
Coolant
Cap and Rotor
Fuel Filter...

not to mention cleaning out the car! (havent had much time with the cold weather/rain here!) and a wash!
im gonna go to work, go get my oil changed, go to Autozone or Advanced, get some stuff and start working on mah cah! i hope all the tune up stuff helps performance some...ive noticed a slight dip in MPG and power. time to spend some money!

Monki

·
slow poke
3,139 Posts
so where is the fuel filter on a 2nd gen alty? I am doing my own tune up and trying to do as much of the stuff that I can to save myself some money. I already did the cap, rotor, pugs, plug wires, going to do oil change this friday or tomorrow, and was planning on the fuel filter at the same time

·
Registered
622 Posts
Reading from my Haynes manual:

Fuel Filter Replacement - 30,000 miles, or 24 months.

1. The Canister Filter is mounted in a clip on the firewall near the brake master cylinder.

2. Depressurize the fuel system, then disconnect the cable from the negative terminal on the battery.

3. Detatch the filter from the bracket, loosen the screw clamps, then detatch the hoses from the top and bottom of the fuel filter and remove it.

4. Note that the inlet and outlet pipes are clearly labeled on their repsective ends of the filter. Make sure the new filter is installed so that it is facing the proper direction as noted above. When correctly installed, the filter should be installed so the outlet pipe faces up and the inlet pipe faces down.

5. Install the inlet and outlet fittings and tighten the screw clamps securely. Reconnect the battery cable, start engine, and check for leaks.

:D

·
Formerly LordofSearchMod
18,041 Posts
if you searched.....

you pull the fuel pump fuse from the panel under the dash. Then try to turn the car on until it stalls and dies.

and the line about the negative cable.. you don't have to do that...

·
Registered
622 Posts
jree said:
How in the heck do I depressurize the fuel system?
See Chapter 4.

.... :D
Quoting from the manual again:
<i>Note: After the fuel pressure has been relieved, it's a good idea to lay a towel over any fuel connection to be disassembled, to absorb the residual fuel that may leak out.</i>

1. Remove the fuel pump fuse from the fuse panel under the driver's side dash.

2. Start the engine and allow it to run until it stops. This should only take it a few seconds. Disconnect the negative terminal of the battery before working on fuel system.

3. The fuel system pressure is now relieved. When you've finished working on the fuel system, simply install the fuel pump fuse back into the fuse panel and connect the negative cable to the battery.

4. It is a good idea to back-up any fuel line that will be disconnected using a shop rag to catch fuel that might spill out.

·
Banned
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All that is necessary to depressurize it is to turn the ignition off.

Would be a good idea to have a sefty googles on, I ve seen gas spraying right in the eyes. Also use plenty of rags to soak the leaking gas.

Good point about disconnecting the battery!

·
Banned
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As4life wrote: no ur all wrong, fule filter is every 30k recomended every 15k, according to many mechanics and dealers i know

That's right, it's a cheap $10 part but very important. Resistant fuel filter can destroy the fuel pump. A lot of times, when fuel filter is changed, and it turned out to be clocked, pump goes right after that in a coupple of days.

Each tank is 15 gallons, if u burn a tank a week - u burn 60 gallons a month, 720 gallons a year, and most people put only about 12K a year average. So imagine how much imputities can be filtered out of 720 gallons of gasoline.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts