The Nissan Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All, After replacing the arm and lower ball joints, I am still getting a vibration. This was only part of the initial problem that I thought the ball joints would solve but it is proving to be elusive.

I get a vibration when accelerating or even as power is applied while on cruise control. Very mild through 50mph than it gets moderate around 62 to 65. It almost disappears while decelerating.

Never gets really bad, but I commute 72 miles each way to work and home, so it's something that will only get worse.

Everything seems tight under the front end. I banged, pulled, pried everything I could thing of and it's all tight. I was going to just say "heck with it" and replace everything from the rotors to the transmission. If anyone has any ideas before I drop a wad of cash on parts, I would appreciate some feedback.

Thanks!

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Try a different set of rims. I just went through something similar... Had them balanced 3-4 times over 3 months at two different sites and 3 different machines, inspected for out of round...nobody could see/find anything. Then some guy at my muffler shop tells me my rim is the problem...we swap for the full size spare and viola...major hwy shakes all but gone. Tipped him the beer I had just bought...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I rotated from to back and a second try from left to right. No changes. I put new BG Goodrich tires on it about 2 weeks ago. Had the lower ball joints and control arms replaced with new OEM.

I'll try for a re-balance but just don't want to have a dealer try it as they are rather expensive. I can replace everything from the rotors to (but not including) the transmission for $1,200 if I do all the work.

·
6,365 Posts
I don't think another balance will fix anything given the above.

One the key signs of a worn CV shaft is shaking/vibration under acceleration, So have your boots cracked/leaked previously or do they have high miles on them?

I'd replace those first before I did the tranny--and not with the cheap aftermarket units either (though I personally got away with a cheap EMPI on an old Audi A4) the success with Nissan and aftermarket/Chinese seems to be much lower.

See paragraph 3

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ordered new axles with CV joints, struts/shocks and rotors. The tie rods feel solid, but do you think I should go for them too? Like I said, I drive between work and "life after work", probably 160 miles per day. So, it gets used a lot. I bought it 3 years ago at 62K miles and just flipped it to 219k miles yesterday. I drive on cruise control 90% of the time and usually only speed limit +2 or 3 mph.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I replaced the axles (obviously with CV joints), struts, shocks, rear shocks, lower ball joints/control arms. Shaking completely went away. The right side lower ball joint was pretty bad. The right side carrier (I think it's called that) was also beat. All 4 shocks being changed didn't hurt, either. I probably should have swapped out the rotors, too. But, I just ordered 4 of a good name brand of slotted/drilled rotors and will switch them next weekend. Held 80 mph rock solid, no shake, no pulling to a side.

Oh... From now on, screw those spring compressors. I'll spend the extra and just buy strut/shock/spring units in one piece.

·
6,365 Posts
What brand of CV shaft did you go with?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I threw the box away so I can't get the actual name, but I bought them from "The Axle Store" out of Norcross, GA. They are working great. About the same quality you would get at Advance Auto or AutoZone at around 1/2 price. Not high end stuff, but I can replace them 4 times for what ordering OEM would cost and they hold the road as good as when I drove off the dealer lot. Both axles were only $160 and the shocks/struts were $130. However, I would never deal with the spring compressors and would go with the ones that cost $100 and included new springs.

·
Rabbi Miguel Raheem Chow
199 Posts
I replaced the axles (obviously with CV joints), struts, shocks, rear shocks, lower ball joints/control arms. Shaking completely went away. The right side lower ball joint was pretty bad. The right side carrier (I think it's called that) was also beat. All 4 shocks being changed didn't hurt, either. I probably should have swapped out the rotors, too. But, I just ordered 4 of a good name brand of slotted/drilled rotors and will switch them next weekend. Held 80 mph rock solid, no shake, no pulling to a side.

Oh... From now on, screw those spring compressors. I'll spend the extra and just buy strut/shock/spring units in one piece.
I'm having a similar issue in my 08 SE after hitting a pothole. I've done everything you've done to remedy the issue, except replacing the control arm. I guess I'll try that next. Glad to hear your vibration went away.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts