The Nissan Club banner

Sheared crank pulley keyway

8K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  AltimaR02 
#1 ·
2005 2.5 the crank pulley came loose from someone that put a motor In before I got it. Think they left the bolt loose and forgot to tighten it after it was running. It came off while it was idling but sheared the keyway off clean at the crank. But not the timing gear. Any ideas on how to get it out besides pulling the cover?

See less See more
#2 ·
try a magnetic screwdriver. Maybe you will get lucky.
Take a small screwdriver and tap it to see if it might start to move.
If you can get a magnetic screwdriver to stick to it and it does not budge you can try tapping on the shaft while holding the magnet on it.
These are a few tips. MAy be a easy job or may not. I wish you good luck

#5 ·
If it's half moon, you might get lucky... Probably need a couple of fast heat/cool cycles to break the key free after the shearing.

Architecture 3d modeling Tool accessory Illustration

#6 ·
If I had access to the full keyway I could try that idea. Trying to get it out without pulling the timing cover, oil pan and timing sprocket along with all the other things that have to come off. I think I just need to come to the conclusion it has to come apart.
I appreciate the suggestions. This altima was bought for $200 and drove it home ran good.
Till the balancer fell off. Was looking around the motor and found alot of loose bolts.

#7 ·
So no luck getting it out eh?
That picture is very helpful. Thank you very much. That confirms it is the half moon.
PErsistence may pay off.
You could in theory remove the seal to get some more access.
Also see if you can move the gear at all. It may be putting pressure on the key. If you can get that to move it may help take the pressure off

#8 ·
Pull the cover. If those flat sides on crank further back are the drive flats for the oil pump then any minor debris from the key shearing can tear the oil pump up. The pulley not being tight makes sure the further back (timing gear) was not either and key back there could be junk too. Look at how much skarf you have ground up in the pulley bolt hole, enough to tear other things up.

The lineart pic therein post #5 is not a car, more like motorcycle engine. The key may be rounded or not.

#9 ·
Does anyone know what the part number is for the crankshaft woodruff key on a 2005 altima? .
I have a friend at a shopping going to try and get the woodruff key out without pulling the cover. If not we'll pull the oil pan and timing cover and replace the timing chain and woodruff key

#10 ·
#12 ·
No problem...keen to see how you make out on this one.

#13 ·
I'd be careful there and try to leave the pan in place unless you have to yank it. Putting front covers back on is not the simple thing it used to be, with a pump in the cover you need to center the cover on the crank snout, Nissan uses a specialty tool to do that. Cover gets centered so pump is not leaning on crank nose to wear it and main bearing out and the cover also splits difference on both sides to not leak at pan juncture too. Fun.

#14 ·
If I open it up I'm pulling the pan also so the balancer chain can be replaced along with the timing chain and tensioners. If I have to go that far why not. The video I watched the guy at a shop took his time and explained everything in detail (looks like he did it before ) didn't look like fun but not real hateful. Finding all the bolts is part of the fun. If your patience and have the time and place to do it. ?? I was going this route but changed my mind after I found out it has two keyways.

#19 · (Edited)
2005 2.5 the crank pulley came loose from someone that put a motor In before I got it. Think they left the bolt loose and forgot to tighten it after it was running. It came off while it was idling but sheared the keyway off clean at the crank. But not the timing gear. Any ideas on how to get it out besides pulling the cover?

Nox Vidmate VLC
I was trying to find a listing for the key last night. I have to try to get a part number for it.