The Nissan Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone help me on how to take off my shift knob and boot to replace it with custom shift knob and boot....?
thanx ppl

·
Terrance and Phillip Show
1,378 Posts
i read baout it earlier... on the automatic... the shifter is held on by a screw... i dont think thats the case with the manny trannies... do a search... but i think you have to cut that off... and then the boot should come off no prblem... i woulldnt be worried about damaging the old knob since your replacxing it... just cut it off

·
too cute
1,357 Posts
Turn the knob counter clockwise. You might need to put a towel or rag over the knob and then use a wrench to turn and remove the knob. As for the boot, you are going to have to take apart the center console area. It's like 4-6 screws total, I can't remember exactly since it's been years since I worked on a first gen. It's pretty easy though. Once you get the screws out, the panel holding the shift boot should pull right out.

·
4,020 Posts
96 Altimas have no screws holding the boot or shifter cover in place. The panel that the boot connects into just snaps off. Pull on it towards the top where the dip is. Then pop out the metal retaining ring and boot out of the little guides. As for the shift know, take an adjustable wrench, grab a hold of it and turn...it will break free...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts