The Nissan Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have a 2015 base-stick shift Sentra and I was just curious as to whether the shift knob is knurled on or has threads. I'd like to swap out the shift knob, but on my Versa it was not simply threaded, it was attached to the point where removing it would break the knob.

Thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a '13 S with 6speed, here is what the service manual shows. Not really threads if this is accurate, maybe someone has first hand experience?

roog

·
Silver Sentra
2 Posts
I removed my Shift Knob with a towel and vice grip pliers, the 2014 sentra manual has a non thread 3/8 diameter shifter. I bought a non threaded slip on adapter from speeddawg.com and it gives you a thread for 16mmx1.5. I couldn't find a smaller thread adapter, I know people like to get M10-12x1.5. I'm going to try out a few other alternatives, keep ya'll posted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey, this is an excellent question! I have a 2015 Sentra manual transmission... unfortunately I went through this whole debacle recently, so my knowledge is pretty solid on this annoying matter.

I, too,was trying to change out my knob and discovered that the design is basically set up to where it's very difficult to customize your shifter knob. I pulled the stock knob off, and underneath is a plastic piece that is like super glued onto the metal shifter. I took some vice grips and yanked that plastic peice off (which ultimately screwed me)... and exposed the metal underneath which is not threaded at all!

You could use a threadless adapter to get a knob fitted on there, but... I would caution you doing that! Because the plastic peice under the knob holds the reverse lockout safety mechanism in place. So when you remove it.... make sure to keep tension on the spring! Otherwise, the reverse lockout will not work anymore and you'll end up like me. I would suggest not doing it at all. If your car has a reverse lockout... it's not worth going through the trouble of risking having to pay to fix something that could have been easily avoided.

VERY STUPID DESIGN BY NISSAN. I will be buying a civic in the future solely based on this annoyance. At least Honda gives thought to making aftermarket stuff available.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts