The Nissan Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this might be a stupid question, but how do you take off the shift knob in a 96 Altima GXE. i tried to take it off but i think its glued or something...

·
Lookin' for a hooptie
1,125 Posts
yup theres glue. it is a BITCH and a 1/2 to take off.
If you dont care about keeping it in one peice like i did not care.
I took a blade and cut the thing in 1/2 and peeled the rubberoff.
THen with a wrench unscrewed the plastic thing underneath.

·
You Can't Front On That..
350 Posts
Do like I did, wrap a shop rag around the knob... get a large channel-set wrench (long enough to get good leverage) grip the wrench in a solid place on the knob and just twist until it pops.

Actually its more of a "Crack!" sound... it is a very satisfying sound....

·
I keep em comin back.....
3,205 Posts
If it's an auto it's just two screws and wires I believe, but a 5spd I just twisted and pulled and it came right off

·
SHIFT_Wounded
1,684 Posts
hopefully i can trade my car for a 5spd alty, (a yr older than mine) then id convert my car now back too stock :( but it would be worth it, on a side note, i have a cai but set it as a wai for now cause my wheel cover or splash guard fell off while i was drivin, exposin the filter and lower intake part, anyways wow does the car pull w/it as a wai(dont get me wrong, pulls w/a cai to) but i dunno, it seems like u pull hella stronger for some reason when its a wai, reminds when i 1st got my popcharger.... if i can get this 5spd which i hope to god i can ill go the high end route since our cars do have good low end already.... wish me luck :)

ok and back too topic..... our there any other kind of shift boots u can use to go on the 5spd alties? (ie 300zx boot, or the newer gen alties or maxima boots or 350z boots?) i no that the floor mats from the 3rd gen altimas fit my 2nd gen almost perfectly...

·
I keep em comin back.....
3,205 Posts
www.customaltima.com has genuine Italian leather boots for your shift knob and the e-brake, excellent bang for your buck when it comes to dressing up your interior. The stock one is just cheap and plasticky (if that's a word)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts