The Nissan Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yeah i'm about to pick up a momo shift knob and i'm having problems getting mine off. does anybody know how to get the manual shift knob off a 2000? or am i going to have to break out the hacksaw.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
all pre2002 nissans are twist off. i'm pretty sure you can twist it off. is your knob leather? if so, i'll buy it off u.
Jay

·
Banned
0 Posts
supposedly, they twist off. For some people, *twist* and they come right off. For other people, *twist* and they break out the hacksaw. Good luck

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
djsassan said:
For other people, *twist* and they break out the hacksaw. Good luck
haha. good tip.
Jay

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have tired twisting

ok i have tried *twisting* with my hands, my friends hands and i even wrapped it in a towel and tried it with vise grips. needless to say its still on. is there some special *twisting* i need to know about? and yes mine is leather and as soon as i can get this damn thing off and get the new i will sell you the old one.
later

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
don't twist with your wrist. Get in the driver seat. Recline the seat. wrap knob counterclockwise with tshirt or towel. Grip with both hands straight in front of you. Now use your weight and twist from the torso while holding your wrist in front of you. Object is to use your weight and body leverage to get the mofo off. Just lean like crazy.
If that doesn't work, get some long channel-lock pliers...grab around the wrapped towel (want to keep leather in sale-able condition) and twist. it's just glued on there really tight.
Jay

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
OTB Race Team said:
why cant you just heat the theards to melt the glue?
cuz i want his leather intact.
Jay

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
aight

aight well i'll see what i can do......unfortuantely i'm stuck overseas right now so it will take a bit for me to try. i figured it was just twist but maybe i was going about it the wrong way. thanks for all the help. later.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had to hack the shit out of it to get the knob off. . .and it sucked big time cause I ripped the leather trying to get it off with a vice-grip, so I decided that since I ruined the leather already, why not destroy the whole friggin knob right?

good luck!

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
altise said:
I had to hack the shit out of it to get the knob off. . .and it sucked big time cause I ripped the leather trying to get it off with a vice-grip, so I decided that since I ruined the leather already, why not destroy the whole friggin knob right?

good luck!
hell, i wouldn't want a ripped up knob either. hehe.
Jay

G

·
but jay, a chopped and burnt know will be more texturized(word??) and you will have better grip. Also, it will give that custom race look.

·
Banned
0 Posts
altise said:

good luck!
and you guys laughed when I said hack away.....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts