The Nissan Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to get my shifter knob off my 5sp 98 gxe to replace it with something without that rubber feeling. Tried to simply unscrew it like most cars, but seems to be on there pretty well. Is this really how it comes off? If so, I will take a big pair of pliers to it. :)

·
7,334 Posts
hahah have fun. I replaced the shift knob in my 2001 and the fucker was glued on there so tight I had to rip it to shreds to get it off. Took me like 30 mins with a knife and a pair of vice grips. Two people pulling on a pair of vice grips as hard as possible couldn't get it to break the glue. It was a huge pain in the ass but I finally got it off.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had to cut the OEM leather knob off cause I ripped it trying to get it off. . .still wouldn't budge so I just hacked it off! Oh well. . .

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Depends if u want to keep the knob after or not. If not, just do as Darvocet said. Some large arsh pliers (I have a 1.5 foot long channel lock that I used on my bro's 93 Maxima).
If you want to keep the knob, make sure u wrap the knob with some towels or tshirts...wrap counter clockwise and twist counter clockwise.
Jay

1 - 5 of 5 Posts