The Nissan Club banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have quite i bit of problems with my shifter.( automatic). My first problem was I could not press in the shift button on the shifter in order to put my alty in drive or anything other than park. The button would not go in all the way, and after pressing it in contenuosly, while moving it up and down, i eventually could press in the button all the way and put the car in drive (after like 5 min. of frustration). I heard from my friend whom owns a maxima and is a member of .net that many of his maxima buddies have the same problems with their automatic shifters. He told me to take out the placement screws and remove the button, and shifter and clean it out, and well as lubricate the button. Well after doing so, its gotten a little better except another problem has mounted. When the shifter is in drive, i can not get the transmission to stay in overdrive. If I push the shifter up a little toward neutral the the overdrive will kick in and the o\d off light will turn off. The o\d will also kick in if I pull the shifter down a little toward 2nd gear. Now I am driving around town without O\d on,(since i cant hold the shifter up or down forever), and I know it is puttin wear and tear on my transmission since I exceed speeds of 50 mph and use the highway everyday. I think I may have jarred sumthing when taking the shifter apart last time since i didnt take it all the way down after noticing the o\d switch wires the run down it and deep under the console of the transmission. After seeing the wires and noticing I couldn't pull the shifter up and out without getting in and disconnecting the wires, I put everything back on and thats when it started. I think i may have damaged or pulled sumthing loose.
Can anyone help me with this?

·
Altimaboy
1,726 Posts
Sounds to me like you pulled the wires too tight, nd caused a shortage in them. For your case, hopefully they came a loose in the shifter, not deep inside the console.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts