The Nissan Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting to drop my 95 alti for a while now. I have some springs lined up, but I'm just a bit confused about this shocks and struts thing. And then there is the whole coil over issue. Can someone please help me to make sense of it all.

Bernie:cool:

·
founding father
1,952 Posts
shocks and struts are basically the same thing just different by way of the different suspension setups. the altima has a macphearson strut suspension.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
my opinion: get Tokikos.
nearly everybody else on this site: KYB
Ask shox.com for the Altimas club discount for those.
Jay

·
Die Trying
2,554 Posts
whenever lowering the car, you wanna make sure and put aftermarket shocks on too. The KYB GR-2 gas shocks are nice. I love mine, they help the ride a lot. Everyone here who has em swears by them. It's also best to do all at once when lowering b/c it's all part of the same assy. You'll save in the long run.

Most coilovers are the spring and strut assy in one and are adjustable up to a 4" drops or so on other cars (mainly Hondas). They run a little more than just springs, but still a drop for the money.

Then, there is the spring and perch assy only with your own struts (OEM or aftermarket). The perch is exactly what it sounds like, it's what the spring sits on. And that part is the adjustable part. The only coil overs for the Altima are this type, they're not a true coil over.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
if you have a 2002 or 2001 car and are lowering only 1.5" or so, you don't have to get new struts since they're still pretty new and have plenty of life in them. If you want to stiffen up your ride just a bit (some say kyb ride like stock), then get kyb or tokikos.

Jay

1 - 5 of 5 Posts