The Nissan Club banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I wanna get Psycho
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THis still comfuses me. Would you need to get both shocks and springs forthe car or one or the other. I still do not fully understand the shocks and springs. They both lower the car right. and they both make your car better.. So do we buy them both or just one of them.

·
Du Ma
165 Posts
shocks and springs

If you drop your car, the stock shocks cant handle the new ht of the ride since it adds more wt. If you dont get shocks, you'll blow your stock ones out. If you get struts, coilovers, you dont need springs, like the sustec coilovers or skunkworks (not sure if they make em for the new altima yet.)

·
Registered
53 Posts
if you get lowering springs, the altima should be alright for a couple months, since it is so new, but yeah, soon after you would need no shocks as well..and theyre not cheap...coilovers would probably be better, and with those you can adjust the ride height yourself..

·
X-Mod
6,895 Posts
Prophet0p said:
THis still comfuses me. Would you need to get both shocks and springs forthe car or one or the other. I still do not fully understand the shocks and springs. They both lower the car right. and they both make your car better.. So do we buy them both or just one of them.
Shocks are calibrated for a specific spring rate, which defines the amount of effective suspension travel. When you change the spring rate and reduce the travel by installing drop springs, the dampers are no longer matched and no longer provide sufficient damping. They will therefore wear out sooner. The amount of physical "up" travel in the suspension geometry (bumpstops) does not change, but the new ride height is determined by the new springs. The new springs require a damper which provides additional damping with a shorter stroke.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Altimat....you got the Eibach springs on your didn't you? Correct me if I'm wrong. All in all, do you notice a significant difference in the ride? Is it bouncy and rough? I know the tires also have to do with the smoothness of the ride...please, if you will let us know..thanks!

·
Registered
203 Posts
They both lower the car, right...
Wrong. Weight of car is carried by the springs, thus the springs determine ride height. Shocks are only there to control the oscillations of the springs. Lowering springs usually have a higher spring rate (stiffer), and thus require more damping than the OEM shocks/struts can provide (for very long, anyway).

·
X-Mod
6,895 Posts
Coco said:
Altimat....you got the Eibach springs on your didn't you? Correct me if I'm wrong. All in all, do you notice a significant difference in the ride? Is it bouncy and rough? I know the tires also have to do with the smoothness of the ride...please, if you will let us know..thanks!
Nope, no springs yet. The race is between Eibach (Sportlines), Ground Control, and Sprint. We'll see who can bring their product to market first! Prokits are too soft for me.

·
Registered
661 Posts
If you drop your car, the stock shocks cant handle the new ht of the ride since it adds more wt.
What???? Add more weight? Huh?

The OE shocks are calibrated for the OE springs. They cannot properly control the oscillation of stiffer aftermarket springs. The ride will be a little bouncy and the shocks won't last long.

Aftermarket shocks have a tendency to be valved a little more aggresively. In my experience on other cars, the Tokico Blues are great with the typical lowering springs like Eibachs.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Prophet0p said:
then wont you have to change it all for it do be done properly and work the best...for the best ride......
Doing it all at once is recommended for obvious reasons (performance and ride quality gains), but it also allows you to save some cash.

If you install lowering springs on your car and your struts blow the next week, you'll be in the shop paying for installation fees once again to replace the blown struts.

Unless you're doing things yourself, do it all at once. You AND your wallet will be much happier.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I like the drop on the eibach pro-kits. So, if I buy the eibach pro-kits I will also have to buy new stuts and shocks? If I buy the coilovers I will have nothing else to buy? I just want to go the cheapest and easiest way-help me please. thanks

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Mattman said:
I like the drop on the eibach pro-kits. So, if I buy the eibach pro-kits I will also have to buy new stuts and shocks? If I buy the coilovers I will have nothing else to buy? I just want to go the cheapest and easiest way-help me please. thanks
You've got it the opposite way. You CAN... only if you want to, replace the struts when installing the Eibachs. But with a 2 inch + drop, I'd definitely get new struts.

It's all about how deep your pocket is at the time. Most people are too anxious to wait and do it all at once, which IMO would be the right thing to do.

If you're looking at doing it the "cheapest" way then Eibach or H&R's aren't going to be the route you'd want to take unless you're buying them used. They cost a GRIP.

·
I wanna get Psycho
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So if just buying the Eibach's alone are gonna cause problem for other parts on teh car taht should have been changed..Why not just wait till all the mods for the altima come out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts