The Nissan Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like a more precise gearshift on my altima, but my buddy has had bad experiences with short shift kits on his 240sx and maxima. I've tried both and, while shorter, they felt like rowing through a bucket of marbles. I believe one was an OBX brand, but I can't remember the others. I'd be willing to pay more for something that is a little more BMW-like. Any suggestions?

·
01 SE 5mt
2,562 Posts
the best short shifter is possibly the stillen, it is the only thing they make that is worth the $$$

some people have been saying the B&m is nice but recently some people came out and said it wasnt all it was cracked up to be

you decide????

i think ill go with the stillen

·
C's get degrees.
1,338 Posts
I have the Stillen in my '00 SE. I will tell you it was a little bit of work to get it "tuned" how I like it. When I first put it in I tightened the bottom bolt pretty good. When i tried to drive it, it was sooooo much effort to put the car into gear. It doesnt make any sense, but when I loosened the bottom bolt, it loosened the shifting. So, I tweaked and played with it for a while adjusting bolts until it felt perfect. Probably took about an hour to get it exactly where I wanted it, but I havent been back under there since. And I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the shift kit. It is by far oe of the best mods I've got and I've done a lot of mods. Definitely worth the $$$

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
I got a B&M...had it installed for over a week...hated it the first two days...but now im more used to it and i like it...I too need to tune it a little bit, cant seem to get hoist time or spare time myself to do it...I'm sure once I "tune" mine that I will love it...the shifts are really short compared to stock, the shifter height is about an inch lower too...has a little bit of a notchy feel when getting in gear, but i like that notchy feeling...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
short shift

Thanks guys!

I have heard of the B&M but never got a chance to try it on a car. Stillen stuff is always $$ but if it does the job then I'm not concerned.

Well, I think I'm down to those two...Time to borrow the hoist again.

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
got my B&M looked at today...figured out that the spring was not connected...but the spring was still not that strong...my mechanic put on a stronger spring and the buzzing sound went away and the shifter does not fall around in neutral anymore...there is very minimal play in gears now too...

I LOVE MY B&M SHORT SHIFTER!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts